Under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 it is a requirement that hackney carriages and private hire vehicles display an internal and external identification plate.
The necessary components for constructing identification plates on demand and at short notice are supplied by MOGO Total Licensing Solutions. Specialised brackets and fixings for the attaching of identification plates are also supplied by MOGO. An exemption to contract standing orders has been agreed to enable an order to be placed for the coming year for the supply of components for identification plates, brackets and fixings with MOGO.
The reason for requesting exemption are as follows:
· The Licensing computer software Lalpac has templates set up to print labels that are compatible with various coloured plates supplied by MOGO that are produced with IBC’s corporate image. The changing of these templates would require a significant amount of time to change.
· Proprietors of currently licensed vehicles will have to purchase new brackets and plate holders at their own expense. Existing proprietors purchase MOGO plate holders that are specifically designed for attaching MOGO plates.
· Approximately 1000 applications were made between 01/04/17 and 31/03/18 requiring identification plates to be made for licensed hackney and private hire vehicles. There are approximately 560 licensed vehicles. It is difficult to predict the number of replacement plates required year on year
· It is a requirement that licensed vehicles display identification plates at all times. Plates need to be made quickly and at short notice for grants, renewals and change of vehicle applications. As well as for the replacing of lost, damaged or stolen plates.
Alternative options considered and reason for rejection:
· Procuring a supplier has been considered however this has been rejected as the investment to amend the Licensing software Lalpac system is considerable.
· Changing to a different supplier would place an additional cost will be placed on the taxi and private hire trade.
· The investment to purchase stocks of plates etc in the quantities required to switch to another supplier would require the same exemption
Decision type: Non-key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Wards affected: (All Wards);
Notice of proposed decision first published: 07/02/2019
Decision due: 10 Jan 2019 by Officer Decision
Head of Finance and Revenues; Head of Housing and Community Services