As part of its wider objectives to encourage the usage of public transport, the Council provides, in its own right, a number of bus shelters in various locations across Ipswich and also provides, on behalf of Suffolk County Council, bus stops, bus stop clearway restrictions and associated infrastructure. The Council receives a number of requests for the provision of new bus shelters and holds a waiting list of such sites.
The Council has now decided to provide a number of new or replacement bus shelters at the locations listed below, including various associated infrastructure where relevant.
1. Hawthorn Drive, near junction with Bunting Road – replacement of existing bus shelter.
2. Hawthorn Drive, outside Chantry Clinic – provision of new bus shelter and area of hardstanding.
3. Prince of Wales Drive, outside Halifax School – replacement of existing bus shelter.
4. Maidenhall Approach, outside Gwent House (near junction with Pembroke Close) – replacement of existing bus shelter.
5. Maidenhall Approach, near junction with Belstead Avenue – replacement of existing bus shelter and provision of new area of hardstanding.
6. Lindbergh Road, outside no. 129 (opposite Malcolm Road) – provision of new bus shelter with bus stop clearway restriction.
7. Renfrew Road, outside no. 81, near junction with Aberdeen Way – provision of new bus shelter, area of hardstanding and bus stop clearway restriction.
8. Renfrew Road, outside no. 78 – provision of new bus shelter, area of hardstanding and bus stop clearway restriction.
The main alternative option would be not to provide the bus shelters (except at the bus stop listed on Lindbergh Road where the provision is a planning condition relating to the nearby housing development on Malcolm Road).
Where new bus shelters are being installed at bus stops that do not currently have a bus shelter, a consultation has been undertaken with affected residents and businesses and no written objections have been received. The permission of Suffolk County Council as Highway Authority has been sought and obtained. The procurement of the bus shelters and necessary civil engineering works have been the subject of a competitive tender exercise.
Decision type: Non-key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Wards affected: Bridge; Priory Heath; Rushmere; Sprites;
Notice of proposed decision first published: 29/01/2018
Decision due: 25 Jan 2018 by Officer Decision