Agenda and minutes

South East Area Committee
Wednesday 6th June 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: All Hallows Church Hall, Landseer Road, IP3 0JH

Contact: Linda Slowgrove  01473 432511

Items
No. Item

1.

Election of Chair

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that Councillor Barber be elected Chair of the South East Area Committee for the 2018/19 municipal year.

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence.

3.

Unconfirmed Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 117 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 14 March 2018.

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Minutes of the meeting held on 14 March 2018 be signed as a true record.

4.

To Confirm or Vary the Order of Business

Minutes:

The Chair reported that Agenda Item 13 (SEAC/18/04 – Area Action Plan) had been deferred to the next meeting.  Additionally, it was proposed that Agenda Item 9 (Policing Update) be considered prior to Agenda Item 8 (Response to Public Questions) and this was agreed.

 

Resolved:

 

that, subject to Agenda Item 13 being deferred and Agenda Item 9 being considered before Agenda Item 8, the Order of Business be confirmed as printed on the Agenda.

5.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

6.

To Confirm the Venues of Future Meetings

·                Wednesday 18 July 2018, 7pm – 18th Ipswich Scouts Hut, Cliff Lane, IP3 0PE

·                Wednesday 12 September 2018, 7pm – Priory Heath ward

·                Wednesday 21 November 2018, 7pm – Gainsborough ward

·                Wednesday 16 January 2019, 7pm – Holywells ward

·                Wednesday 13 March 2019, 7pm – Priory Heath ward

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the meetings and venues be confirmed as follows:

 

·                    Wednesday 18 July 2018, 7pm – 18th Ipswich Scouts Hut, Cliff Lane, IP3 0PE

·                    Wednesday 12 September 2018, 7pm – Priory Heath ward

·                    Wednesday 21 November 2018, 7pm – Gainsborough ward

·                    Wednesday 16 January 2019, 7pm – Holywells ward

·                    Wednesday 13 March 2019, 7pm – Priory Heath ward

7.

Chair's Update on Actions From Previous Meetings

Minutes:

7.1.       The Chair reported that a handout was available at the meeting with update responses to actions raised at previous meetings.

7.2.       The Chair highlighted that a briefing note was also available that provided road closure information for the Great East Run 2018, which was taking place on Sunday 16 September 2018.

8.

Policing Update

Minutes:

8.1.       The Chair introduced Inspector Pursehouse of the Ipswich East Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT), who provided the following update on policing priorities.

Following the tragic events leading to the death of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, a public meeting was held on Monday 4 June with key partners, where a commitment was given to providing community initiatives in response to the issues raised, with a follow-up meeting to be held in a couple of weeks.

A number of arrests had been made in relation to Tavis’ death and Police investigations were continuing.  Police were appealing for any information to be reported, either by phone, online or anonymously through Crimestoppers.

The Police pod set up on Queens Way would be there for at least a few more days and additional resource had been deployed to provide reassurance within the community.

Other policing priorities in South East Ipswich included Operation Parkland, which addressed anti-social behaviour (ASB) over the summer months through a dedicated team, with additional patrols targeting known ASB hotspots.  Any community intelligence relating to ASB should be reported so that the correct areas could be targeted.

Speed enforcement had been continuing, with the speed indicator device (SID) being deployed on a daily basis.  

 

8.2.       Local resident: The SID has been deployed infrequently on Ravenswood, between 9.00am and 4.45pm, often mid-morning; however, the time of day when most speeding occurred was when people were driving home from work, but the SID was usually taken away by then as Officers went off duty.
The SID was used to cover all of the South East area, with locations agreed by the South East Neighbourhood Partnership Group (NPG), and usage of the SID was reviewed monthly.  There had to be a balance between the number of roads covered and the length of time the SID was deployed at each location.  To be able to deploy the SID between 6pm and 9pm would require extra resource; this would be need to be considered at the SE NPG to see how this could be done.

8.3.       Local resident: There were still issues with vehicles parking on the Cliff Lane junction. Also, could a ‘Shopkeeper Watch’ be set up for Queens Way similar to that established with shopkeepers on Cliff Lane?
The Cliff Lane junction was a known issue, and patrols/enforcement was done when resource allowed.  There had been some discussion about the possibility of road signage.
The Police support the ‘Shopkeeper Watch’ initiative, and would be happy to work with shopkeepers on Queens Way if there was a community contact to progress this.


8.4.       Councillor Connelly: Local residents were the eyes of the community.  What was the best way for them to report information with a degree of safety?
Crimestoppers was an anonymous service where no name or contact details need be provided; but this information could not be used if a matter were taken to court.  Alternatively, information could be reported by calling 101 or reporting it online, the latter takes about 2½ minutes to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Responses to Public Questions and Open Discussion on Local Issues

Minutes:

9.1.       The Chair reported that one question had been submitted in advance of the meeting.

Question 1: Mr Debman
“How does the South East Area Committee propose to represent residents of the South East re: the Upper Orwell Crossings, and will it produce a report for its next meeting in July on issues that they see as important to residents; if not, will it allow residents the chance to raise their concerns so that they can speak on their behalf?”

The South East Area Committee has received reports about the Upper Orwell Crossing on 3 occasions over the past Municipal Year (27 July 2017, 10 January 2018 and 14 March 2018) and residents have been able to put their views directly to the Suffolk County Council Officers working on the project at these meetings. It was anticipated that further reports on the Upper Orwell Crossing would be brought to the South East Area Committee at appropriate stages of the project and residents would be able to raise any issues they wish to then. Residents were also welcome to raise any issues during the standing item on ‘Responses to Public Questions and Open Discussion on Local Issues’ and could also contact their Councillors about concerns outside of the Area Committee structure. It was not therefore considered necessary to bring an additional report for the purpose of confirming the Committee’s understanding of residents’ views on the project.

 

Councillors on the South East Area Committee, including the Suffolk County Councillors co-opted onto the committee – Councillor Kim Clements, Councillor Mandy Gaylard and Councillor Bill Quinton – were aware of the serious concerns that many residents have about the impact of the Upper Orwell Crossings on their area and Councillors would consider the views of their residents when they were consulted on issues related to the Upper Orwell Crossings.

 

While Councillors on the Area Committee were unlikely to be consulted except in the ways that were also open to residents, the Area Committee did have formal powers to:

- make comments on strategic planning matters affecting either its own area or the Borough as a whole;

- act as a consultee in respect of consultations carried out by outside organisations in respect of issues affecting its area and reporting to the Executive on any responses given on such consultations.

 

Borough Councillors on the South East Area Committee would be able to determine whether they wish to use these powers at the appropriate stages of the project.

9.2.       The Chair invited further questions from the floor.

9.3.       Local resident: I previously raised the issue of the burnt out car on Ravenswood that took a long time to be removed after contacting the Council/Police.  However, when it was removed, there was a lot of debris (broken glass, burnt bits of car) left behind that remained there for 8 weeks in the place where the Community Playbus usually parks.  We have bagged up the debris and brought it with us – please can someone now take responsibility  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

SEAC/18/01 Funding Request: Bangladeshi Support Centre pdf icon PDF 160 KB

Minutes:

10.1.    Mr Simon Lanning, Community Engagement Officer, reported that funding was being sought to cover the cost of existing projects run by the Bangladeshi Support Centre (BSC), who offered a wide range of activities, including cultural events and befriending services, for people of various nationalities, backgrounds and ages. 

10.2.    County Councillor Gaylard commented that the cut in funding by SCC to this and other voluntary organisations was a retrograde step that she had opposed.

10.3.    Councillor Harsant:  Does the BSC have healthy reserves?
The BSC has approximately three months of running costs in reserve and were working to tight budgets.

10.4.    Local resident: SCC have been cutting budgets over the past few years and have systematically been pricing people out of using Murrayside Community Centre so that they have to go elsewhere when the use is needed in the community. Someone from SCC should attend the next public meeting in 2 weeks’ time to respond to these issues.
The Chair reported that the SCC Cabinet member for Ipswich, County Councillor West, had apologised for not being able to attend this evening.

County Councillor Quinton commented that he would be meeting next week with the SCC Leader, County Councillor Hicks, to raise these issues.

10.5.    Councillor Knowles: The appendix of the report shows that the BSC did not just support the Bangladeshi community, but provided services to a much wider population.

10.6.    Councillor Cook: Do other Councils in Suffolk support the BSC aside from Ipswich Borough Council?
Only Ipswich Borough Council funds the core activities.  The BSC applies to other organisation for its multi-cultural festival.  The BSC also provides free supplementary schooling (Mathematics, English, Science) on Saturdays, which was open to children from all backgrounds.

10.7.    Councillor Cook: This project would deliver 624 hours of support; please could statistics be provided at the end of the 52 weeks identifying where the people who access the services come from.
Services provided by the BSC were sometimes accessed by people from outside of Ipswich as they did not feel comfortable accessing the services provided elsewhere. 

Resolved:

 

that the South East Area Committee approve funding of £2,195.12 from the South East Area Committee budget to the Bangladeshi Support Centre as a contribution towards the existing programme of activities and projects.

 

Reason: To enable the Bangladeshi Support Centre to continue to support vulnerable people within Ipswich

11.

SEAC/18/02 Funding Request: Ipswich Women's Festival Group - Women's Voices, Women's Votes 100 Years On pdf icon PDF 120 KB

Minutes:

11.1.    Mr Lanning introduced Pauline Henry and Julie Bateman of the Ipswich Women’s Festival Group, who gave a presentation with the following key points in support of their funding application:

·           Project aims to celebrate 100 years of women first getting the vote

·           Numerous partner organisations were already involved

·           Project seeks to inspire women to use their vote, participate in democratic and public life, promote gender equality and develop networks across women’s and girls’ organisations

·           Ipswich was chosen for his project due to its socio-economic challenges, below average educational attainment and lower aspirations for girls

·           Main event would take place on 6 October 2018 at the University of Suffolk, with up to 300 attendees, and would include keynote speakers, workshops, film and photographic events and an ‘EqualiTea’, where groups gather together for a tea party and to discuss what equality means to them

·           Other smaller ‘EqualiTeas’ would be held on the run up to this event, hosted by a number of different organisations  

11.2.    Councillor Knowles: The turnout at the recent election was less than 30%, so greater democratic involvement would be welcomed.  Are the activities too focused on those people already engaged in the democratic process?  How would the message get out to young women across South East Ipswich when the main event would be held at the University?
There was a broad range of women involved in various organisations that this project would be seeking to engage with, such as Future Female Society, WASSUP.  Whilst the main event was on 6 October, there was now nearly 20 community groups lined up for the EqualiTea events.

11.3.    Councillor Connelly: When will the dates and details of the events be made public?
The first press release went out in the EADT this week and also on Town Radio.  A Facebook page would be set up and press releases would also be coordinated with the Council’s Communications Team.  Dates for the EqualiTeas were still being finalised as new groups had been identified.

The Mayor of Ipswich and other female IBC Councillors should also be invited.

11.4.    Councillor Barber: Where will the events be held?  It’s important to hold them within the local community, e.g. Gainsborough Library, Ipswich Academy.
Venues would be arranged in consultation with the local community groups.

11.5.    Local resident: All political parties should be involved.
All locally elected female Councillors would be invited.  A meeting would be held in a couple of weeks’ time to influence how the project should develop going forward.  

Resolved:

 

that the South East Area Committee approve funding of £878.91 from the South East Area Committee budget to the Ipswich Women’s Festival Group as a contribution towards the cost of the project to celebrate 100 years of the women’s vote.

 

Reason: This project would further raise awareness of women’s issues and enable women’s participation in civic life.

12.

SEAC/18/03 Funding Request: Venue Hire and Publicity Budget pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

12.1.    Mr Lanning reported that £500 was requested to cover costs relating to advertising and venue hire for South East Area Committee meetings in 2018/19 so that meetings could be held out in the community.

12.2.    Councillor Harsant: People at the public meeting on Monday were not aware of the South East Area Committee; more community engagement and advertising was required.

12.3.    Councillor Cook:  Other forms of publicity need to be considered in order to reach those people not currently engaged; there was a social media following within the community that could be linked into in order to reach other parts of the community.

Resolved:

 

that the South East Area Committee approve the allocation of £500 from the South East Area Committee budget for costs associated with advertising and venue hire for the South East Area Committee for 2018/19, as detailed in Appendix 1 to the report.

 

Reason: To facilitate the good running of the Area Committee, meeting the goal to devolve power closer to the people

13.

SEAC/18/04 South East Area Committee - Area Action Plan pdf icon PDF 52 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This item had been deferred to the next meeting.

14.

SEAC/18/05 Area Committee Funding Guidelines pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

14.1.    Mr Lanning reported that the previous Area Committee funding guidelines had been reviewed, as the level of information required from applicants was not always proportionate to the amount of funding being requested.  The new guidelines also allowed for more of the process to be done online. The Making a Difference (MAD) budget funding guidelines had been updated to automatically return any unspent MAD funding back to the Area Committee’s unallocated budget at the end of the municipal year.

Resolved:

 

that the Area Committee Funding Guidelines attached at Appendix 1 to the report and the Making a Difference Budget Funding Guidelines attached at Appendix 2 to the report be adopted.

 

Reason: To clearly set out the approach to providing support via Area Committee funding and to provide guidance for the allocation of funding.

15.

Community Intelligence - Verbal Update from Ward Councillors

Minutes:

15.1.    Councillor Barber reported that she had chaired the public meeting on Monday and emphasised that the local Councillors were there to represent local residents, and would be working hard with agencies to help people in South East Ipswich in the long term.

15.2.    County Councillor Clements reported that she had been working on various highway issues in Gainsborough.

15.3.    Councillor Parry reported that as a new Councillor she was getting involved with Holywells residents to better understand their concerns about the Upper Orwell Crossings, and would also be meeting with the manager of Holywells Park.

15.4.    Councillor Connelly reported that the Gainsborough Community People’s Forum had funding available for community groups that operated within the Gainsborough area.  The Forum was looking for more Gainsborough residents to get involved.

15.5.    Councillor Knowles reported that the focus in Priory Heath ward was the future of the Murrayside Community Centre, which would play a vital role in rebuilding community relationships in the area following the tragic events last weekend. 

15.6.    County Councillor Quinton reported that he would be requesting that details of the Upper Orwell Crossings proposals be put on public display within Priory Heath, as well as in Gainsborough and Holywells.

15.7.    Councillor Harsant reported that she would be joining the Action Group for the Upper Orwell Crossings, and commented that the impact of the proposals would not only affect the Rivers Estate, but the Waterfront as well.

16.

SEAC/18/06 Area Committee Financial Update pdf icon PDF 62 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

16.1.    Mr Blofield, Head of Housing and Community Services, reported that at the start of the new municipal year, the South East Area Committee had an unallocated budget of £27,363.16 to spend on its priorities.

16.2.    Following the financial commitment of £3,574.03 arising from the approved funding requests, the unallocated South East Area Committee budget was now £23,789.13.  The Committee was requested to consider how much funding to allocate to establish a Making a Difference (MAD) budget for 2018/19 and to return the unspent MAD budget from 2017/18 to the main unallocated budget.

Resolved:

 

(i)           that the financial statement in Appendix 1 of the report be noted;

(ii)         that the allocation of £1,800 from the South East Area Committee budget to establish a Making a Difference (MAD) budget for 2018/19 be approved;

(iii)        that the return of the unspent MAD funding for 2017/18 (£1,250.10) to the main unallocated South East Area Committee budget be approved.

Reasons:

(i)           To provide clear and transparent details of the amount of funds available to the Area Committee to deliver the priorities in its action plan;

(ii)          To allow the South East Area Committee to devolve up to 10% of its annual budget to support small scale community initiatives;

(iii)         To release any South East Area Committee budget funding where there is no further expenditure anticipated.