Agenda and minutes

North West Area Committee - Thursday 14th September 2017 7.00 pm

Venue: St Raphael Club, St Raphael Court, Highfield Road IP1 6DA

Contact: Trisha Sutton  01473 432512

Items
No. Item

18.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Suffolk County Councillors K Bole and I Lockington.

19.

Unconfirmed Minutes of the Meeting held on 20 July 2017 pdf icon PDF 88 KB

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the minutes of the meeting held on 20 July 2017, be signed as a true record.

20.

To Confirm or Vary the Order of Business

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

to vary the Order of Business.  To consider Item 11 – Responses to Public Questions Received and Open Discussion on Local Issues before Item 8 – NWAC/17/08 – Proposed Bus Stop Clearway – Shafto Road, otherwise the Order of Business be as printed on the Agenda.

21.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

22.

Policing Priorities - North West Ipswich

Minutes:

22.1    Sgt Stuart Curtis reported that vehicle crime (thefts of mopeds) had been on the increase around the Whitton and Whitehouse area resulting in a 4 month Detention and Training Order being imposed on an individual, following numerous breaches of a Criminal Behaviour Order.  Currently Officers were dealing with localised anti-social behaviour in Ulster Avenue working in partnership with Ipswich Borough Council and there would be visits to families with a view to issuing Community Protection Notices for parents to take responsibility for any under 16’s.  A resident asked what anti-social behaviour was occurring and the Officer said that it was low level crime (accessing gardens and loud, disorderly behaviour) which was not linked to drugs.

 

22.2    Responsible parking around schools continued to be promoted with the use of the School Safer Parking Banners funded by the Area Committees from the Making A Difference (MAD) fund.  All schools in the North West area were on board and local parents were also involved.

 

22.3    A resident reported that parking at the junction of Bramford Lane/Kingston Road created a problem when turning in, if a vehicle was coming from the other direction.  This also occurred at the junction of Bramford Lane/Cromer Road and the Officer agreed to take this issue away.  

 

22.4    Residents also expressed concerns about cars parking on pavements restricting pedestrian access, littering and youths loitering and a Neighbourhood Watch member asked for more information on robberies of and from vehicles and the safety of women.  The Police Officer agreed to provide this to the Neighbourhood Watch person.

 

22.5    At the last meeting a resident had commented about vehicles exiting the entry only access to Wilco on Norwich Road.  The Officer said that he had liaised with Highways at SCC and a different traffic light configuration had been discussed due to a potential incident when a pedestrian crossing the road had nearly been hit by a vehicle when the traffic had stopped.  It was also noted that additional signage would be costly.  Councillor Goldsmith had spoken to the manager of Wilco and to the Planning Department and a resident said that he had witnessed Wilco delivery vehicles reverse out onto Norwich Road as it was not possible for them to pull out into Deben Road due to vehicles parked in the road near the exit.  

 

22.6    Sara Blake, Head of Communities & Partnerships at Suffolk County Council gave a presentation to the Committee about research commissioned in response to the recent increase in gang and drug related violence amongst vulnerable young people in Ipswich.  The issues for Ipswich were local criminal families being supplied with drugs by ‘Second Generation’ London gangs, the taking over (cuckoo-ing’) of houses of heroin addicts or vulnerable people and vulnerable children and young people from Ipswich being recruited to drugs run for gangs.  Gangs were also affiliating young women to recruit younger girls for group sexual exploitation and there were wider risks to the health, education, employment opportunities and social inclusion of the young people.  

 

22.7  ...  view the full minutes text for item 22.

23.

Upper Orwell Crossings Update

Minutes:

23.1    Ms Suzanne Buck, Project Manager at Suffolk County Council presented this update on the Upper Orwell Crossings which consisted of 3 crossings to provide an east/west link for Ipswich.  These were a road crossing between Landseer Road and Wherstead Road to the south of the Wet Dock Island, a road crossing from the west bank to the Wet Dock Island site and a pedestrian and cyclist only crossing over the Prince Philip Lock to the Wet Dock Island.   

 

23.2    The project objectives were to redevelop the Wet Dock Island, ensure the success of the Waterfront, Marina and Port, regenerate the southern section of the town, relieve congestion and improve connectivity.  The key objectives and the appearance of the bridge were important and a boat survey was currently underway to understand the size and frequency of boats which would use the opening element of the bridge and to seek the maximum clearance required and the minimal time that the bridge would need to be open for. 

 

23.3    Groundwork investigations were underway and later this year boreholes would be made to assess the rock type, with Planning Development Consent Orders being submitted in 2018 and construction on site programmed to start in 2020.  

 

23.4    Councillor Meudec asked how much the project would cost and Ms Buck said that overall the budget would be £97.5m, £77.5m of which had been agreed from the Department for Transport and £20m would be sought from Suffolk County Council or other partners.  In May 2017, Suffolk County Council’s Cabinet had agreed to make £20m available to develop both this and the Lowestoft crossing project to the Planning and Development Consent Order stage.  The design validation stage was being considered at the moment to look at possible bridge spans and the architects had agreed to deliver to budget.  Should the major project not take place then the Department of Transport would reallocate the money to other projects around the country.

 

23.5    Councillor Goldsmith asked when any decision on the positions of the access roads would be known and Ms Buck said that details such as this would likely be part of the consultation which would take place during 2018.  Ms Buck confirmed that when Fosters, the Architects had provided the estimate for construction during the full tender process the costs of services were fixed and that the height of the new traffic bridge would not be the same as the Orwell Bridge.

 

23.6    A resident asked whether there would be any future projects to mitigate the amount of cars on the roads and Ms Buck said that any future projects put forward to the Department of Transport would need to be impact assessed for 15 years, looking at growth and population and the key part of this project was to improve the key links across the town.

 

23.7    For any enquiries about the project residents could phone 0345 603 1842, or go online at www.suffolk.gov.uk/UpperOrwellCrossings

 

23.8    The Chair thanked Ms Buck for her presentation.

24.

Consultation - Ipswich Local Plan Review - Issues and Options

Minutes:

24.1    Martyn Fulcher, Operations Manager for Planning & Development presented the new Local Plan review, Issues & Options document which set out the level of growth and where and how it would be delivered.  Working alongside Mid Suffolk/Babergh and Suffolk Coastal District Councils, the Plan would be adopted in 2019/20 and be applied until 2036 and the current consultation would run from 18 August 2017 until 30 October 2017.   

 

24.2    It was projected that in the future Ipswich would need 11,420 new homes but at the moment only 9,000 new homes sites had been proposed.  Work continued with neighbouring authorities looking at options for countryside fringes and brownfield sites.  19,040 new jobs or employment opportunities would also be needed and feedback was being sought for improvements to travel habits and the retail and leisure areas such as the Town Centre and the Buttermarket with the new cinema and restaurants. 

 

24.3    Tourist attractions and heritage assets would also bring more visitors to the town and improvements would be made to make the best of these opportunities.  There were 15 conservation areas, 600 listed buildings, parks, sports and bio diverse green spaces in the area and resident’s views were sought.  Postcards were available for residents to state their view and the Chair encouraged residents to get involved in the consultation either by using the postcard or by going online at www.ipswich.gov.uk/currentconsultations

25.

Responses to Public Questions and Feedback on Local Issues

Minutes:

25.1    3 questions had been received from a resident prior to the meeting.

 

1.    What actions were being taken to improve the air pollution in Ipswich?

 

A.   The action taken by IBC and its partners to improve air quality in Ipswich were summarised in the Council’s Annual Status Report for 2017.  More specifically, recent actions had included:

·         The implementation of Urban Traffic Management Control within Ipswich

·         A programme of bus stop improvement to encourage modal shift to public transport

·         The retrofitting of older buses with pollution abatement technology

·         A recent loan to Ipswich Buses to buy newer vehicles

·         The development of a Low Emissions Strategy Supplementary Planning Document for Ipswich

·         The introduction of a Cycling Supplementary Planning Document

·         Ongoing commitment to the Suffolk Cycling Strategy; Suffolk Walking Strategy and Green Travel Planning

 

As many of the above actions had now reached fruition, coinciding with the declaration of a new Air Quality Management Area on St Matthews Street and Norwich Road, over the next 12 months IBC would be working with its partners to produce a new Air Quality Action Plan setting the priorities for the next 5 years.

 

2.    How were IBC intending to comply with the NICE guidelines to Local Authorities on air pollution?

 

A.   The NICE guideline ‘Air pollution: outdoor air quality and health’, represents the current recommendations of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence on air quality, it did not constitute statutory or mandatory guidance.  Although, the council was under no obligation to comply with the guidance it was considering it as part of preparing the new Air Quality Action Plan.  It should be noted that many of the recommendations made in the guidance had already been implemented within Ipswich e.g. the inclusion of policies in the Local Plan supporting the introduction of car clubs, the provision of electric vehicle charging infrastructure and the promotion of both cycling and walking.

 

3.    How were IBC and Ipswich Buses encouraging more bus users, when the re-routing of the No 8 bus missed out the stops at Adair and Bennett Roads on its outward journey?

 

A.    The Council was keen to encourage the use of buses as a sustainable transport option and worked with all bus operators to do this by funding infrastructure improvements such as bus shelters and raised bus stop kerbs amongst other functions.  However, the Council does not have the power to determine the routing of commercially operated bus services.  These were the responsibility of the relevant bus operator which, in the case of Service 8 was Ipswich Buses.

 

25.2    Residents said that omitting the bus stop on the outbound route of the No 8 bus service at Adair Road and Henniker Road disadvantaged the services provided for those with learning and physical disabilities and the older generation too.  The Chair said that discussions had taken place with Ipswich Buses and Suffolk County Council about the restrictions and the concerns raised by residents.  Concern was also raised about an uneven pavement at Limerick Close and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 25.

26.

NWAC/17/08 Proposed Bus Stop Clearway - Shafto Road pdf icon PDF 105 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

26.1    Michael Newsham, Integrated Traffic Officer at IBC presented this report regarding a proposal to install a bus stop clearway restriction at a new outbound route bus stop on Shafto Road, following an assessment of bus stop provision in respect of changes made to the rerouting of the No 8 Service.  He explained that IBC had the responsibility to provide bus stops but not to determine the routes and following a site meeting it had been agreed to locate a new outward bound bus stop at the side of 466 Bramford Road.

 

26.2    The site visit also showed that, because of the number of parked cars blocking the new bus stop, a bus stop clearway restriction would need to be installed at the location of the new bus stop to ensure that buses could pull up to the kerb and let passengers embark and disembark safely.  Consultation letters and a map, attached to the report at Appendix A and B, had been sent to the residents affected and 4 objections had been received, which were attached at Appendix C to the report.

 

26.3    The Officer recommendation was that a bus stop clearway restriction, in force at all times, be installed at the new bus stop on Shafto Road, adjacent to the side of 466 Bramford Road of approximately 27-28m in length.  Since the report had been published it had been suggested that the position of the clearway be amended to be shorter so that the dropped kerb for the garage entrance for No 466 at the northern end of the clearway would not be included in the clearway.

 

26.4    An option for siting the bus stop in a position on Bramford Road where the bus stop clearway restriction would not be adjacent to residential properties had been considered, but this had been rejected by SCC Highways on road safety grounds as it would be within the visibility splay of the junction with Jovian Way and so would block the view of oncoming traffic.  Bus stops could not be placed without SCC’s consent.  It was also suggested by Councillor Meudec that the Whitehouse ward Councillors should apply for a pedestrian crossing at Bramford Road on behalf of residents.

 

26.5    Andy Cook, the Operations Manager for Ipswich Buses clarified that the reason that the changes had been made to the No 8 Service was because buses travelling in opposite directions would often meet each other on Adair Road or Henniker Road but could not easily pass each other due to cars being parked both sides of the roads.  The junction of Adair Road and Henniker Road was known as an accident hotspot so to reduce delays because of reversing vehicles and accidents, a one way only loop had been introduced to the service.  It had been acknowledged that some residents would be affected but the decision had to be taken.

 

26.6    Councillor Goldsmith was concerned that there had been no objections from the Police and he asked whether Ipswich Buses had consulted  ...  view the full minutes text for item 26.

27.

Chairs Update on Actions from Previous Meetings

Minutes:

27.1    The Chair’s update about pedestrian safety at the entrance to Wilco on Norwich Road had been reported as part of the Police Priorities item.

28.

Ward Councillors Feedback

Minutes:

28.1    Castle Hill ward

            Councillor Vickery reported that further flooding had occurred at Ashcroft Road.  Anglian Water had undertaken some inspection work and work would take place to rectify 2 faults later in September.  He had also attended a barbeque held by the North West Big Local Trust.

 

Whitehouse ward 

Councillor Chisholm had been working with partners about anti-social behaviour issues in Whitehouse ward and he had attended a Big Local Trust open mic session and the Sikh procession from the Sikh Temple in Bramford Road to the Town Hall on 3 September 2017. 

29.

NWAC/17/09 Funding request - Black History Month Celebration Event pdf icon PDF 544 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

29.1    Mr Cedric McSheen presented this funding request which sought £175 in contribution to the cost of a cultural celebration event as part of Black History Month, which would be held on 21 October 2017 at ‘The Meeting Place’, Limerick Close.  Mr McSheen said that the event was a chance to bring the community together and allow local artists to showcase their talent.  There would be speakers who would inspire young people in the town, it would be a family day and there would be a children’s play area.  Everyone was welcome to attend. 

 

          Resolved:

 

that £175 be allocated from the North West Area Committee budget to the Ipswich African & Caribbean Development Association to contribute to the cost of a cultural celebration event as part of Black History Month, be agreed.

 

Reason:  To provide funds to the Ipswich African & Caribbean Cultural Development Association for the costs of a celebration day as part of Black History Month.

30.

NWAC/17/10 Area Action Plan Update pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

30.1    The Community Engagement Officer presented the Area Action Plan which included the main priorities for the North West area; Education, Skills and Training, Health and Disability and Income.

 

30.2    The Summer Holiday Programme funded at the last meeting had recorded the highest rates of attendance this year and the Inspire Suffolk sport and media sessions had offered diversion activities to reduce anti-social behaviour.

 

30.3    The opportunity to apply for IBC Community Cash Grants was still open for applications for 4 more weeks. 

 

            Resolved:

 

            that the North West Area Action Plan, attached at Appendix 1 to report Ref No: NWAC/17/10, be noted.

 

            Reason:  Developing priorities to provide the basis of an action plan would enable the Area Committee to clearly communicate its vision and priorities for the area and would help demonstrate how its budget was being allocated to deliver the priorities for the area. 

31.

NWAC/17/11 Area Committee Budget Update pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

31.1    The Lead Officer for the North West Area presented the Area Committee budget update and reported that £1,800 had been agreed at the last meeting for the Making A Difference (MAD) budget for 2017/18 and since that meeting an award of £146 had been allocated for Safer School Parking Banners leaving a balance in the MAD fund of £1,654.

 

31.2    At the beginning of this meeting the North West Area Committee had an unallocated budget of £28,215.20 to spend on the priorities of the Area Action Plan for North West Ipswich.

 

            Resolved:

 

            that the financial statement, attached at Appendix 1, be noted.

 

            Reason: To provide clear and transparent details of the amount of funds available to the Area Committee to deliver the priorities in its action plan.

32.

Dates of Future Meetings for 2017/18, all at 7.00pm

·         Thursday 9 November 2017 – Castle Hill Church, Dryden Road IP1 6QF

·         Thursday 25 January 2018 – St Thomas Apostle Church, Bramford Lane IP1 5EP

·         Thursday 22 March 2018 – Whitton Church Hall, Whitton Church Lane IP1 6LT

Minutes:

·         Thursday 9 November 2017 – Castle Hill Church, Dryden Road IP1 6QF

·         Thursday 25 January 2018 – St Thomas Apostle Church, Bramford Lane IP1 5EP

·         Thursday 22 March 2018 – Whitton Church Hall, Whitton Church Lane IP1 6LT