Agenda and draft minutes

Central Area Committee
Wednesday 5th June 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Ipswich Community Church, Clarkson Street, IP1 2JP

Contact: Linda Slowgrove  01473 432511

Items
No. Item

1.

Election of Chair

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that Councillor Gibbs be elected Chair of the Central Area Committee for the 2019/20 municipal year.

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Cook. 

 

Councillor Gibbs congratulated those Councillors who were re-elected and welcomed Councillor Tim Lockington to the Committee.  Councillor Gibbs thanked former Councillor Lee Reynolds for his contribution to the Committee in previous years.

3.

Unconfirmed Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 90 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 6 March 2019.

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Minutes of the meeting held on 6 March 2019 be signed as a true record.

4.

To Confirm or Vary the Order of Business

Minutes:

It was proposed that Agenda Item 9 (Jubilee Park Play Area Update) be considered directly after Agenda Item 7 (Responses to Public Questions), and this was agreed.

 

Resolved:

 

that, subject to Item 9 being considered directly after Item 7, the Order of Business be confirmed as printed on the Agenda.

5.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

Councillor Holmes, having worked at the Christ Church Night Shelter, declared an interest in Agenda Item 10 (report CAC/19/01).

6.

To Confirm the Venues of Future Meetings

·                     Wednesday 31 July 2019, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                     Wednesday 11 September 2019, 7pm – St Margaret’s Primary School, Bolton Lane, IP4 2BT

·                     Wednesday 20 November 2019, 7pm – Westgate ward

·                     Wednesday 15 January 2020, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                     Wednesday 11 March 2020, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the meetings and venues be confirmed as follows:

 

·                     Wednesday 31 July 2019, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                     Wednesday 11 September 2019, 7pm – St Margaret’s Primary School, Bolton Lane, IP4 2BT

·                     Wednesday 20 November 2019, 7pm – Westgate ward

·                     Wednesday 15 January 2020, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                     Wednesday 11 March 2020, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

7.

Responses to Public Questions Received and Open Discussion on Local Issues

(a)          Police Priorities

Minutes:

7.1.       The Chair introduced Inspector Richard Burton of the Ipswich Central Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT), who provided the following policing updates:

7.2.       A day of action took place on 4 April 2019 across the SNTs in the Southern area of Suffolk, targeting premises of vulnerable people who were being used for drug-related activities, which resulted in a number of drug warrants and arrests. This was followed by a week of action from 13 May 2019, when 11 addresses were visited, with the SNT Link Officer working closely with the Council’s Tenancy Services Team.  Acting on County Lines intelligence, drugs and cash was recovered from premises in Woodbridge Road, resulting in a closure order and 4 arrests.

7.3.       Anti-social behaviour (ASB) in Arras Square: As a result of dedicated patrols and working with security staff in the Buttermarket, the level of ASB in Arras Square had reduced.

7.4.       Town Centre Begging/Street Drinking: A Community Protection Notice had been served and work in partnership with the Street Rangers was ongoing.

7.5.       Operation Parkland: This annual operation to tackle ASB and knife crime during the summer months was currently in its consultation stage, gathering feedback from the public to build up a picture of where the ASB hotspots were in order to allocate resources accordingly.  A drop-in surgery would be held in the town centre on 15 June 2019 with the Police Community Engagement Officers from the Ipswich SNTs in attendance.

7.6.       Local resident:  St Stephens Lane, which ran down the side of the Wilkinsons store, had an unfortunate nickname as it was frequently used as a toilet. Last weekend due to the hot weather it was particularly smelly.  Whilst it was steam-cleaned by the Council most Monday mornings, it needed to be cleaned every Saturday and Sunday morning after having been used as a toilet the night before.  This unpleasant environment affected all who used the lane.  The Council’s Cleaner Ipswich Team have been made aware of the issue and have promised to improve the situation.
Inspector Burton added that if the incidents were reported, they could be dealt with as public order offences.

7.7.       Councillor Jones asked whether the level of ASB in the Jubilee Park area had lessened recently. 
Inspector Burton reported that the situation was positive. Officers had been engaging with known individuals and many had since moved on; there had been some incidences of alcohol being confiscated.  Councillor Jones asked whether extra Police would be assigned as per last summer.
Inspector Burton reported that Operation Parkland would run again this summer and the feedback from the current consultation would inform the ASB hotspots; the Jubilee Park area would be one of the areas targeted by the operation. 

7.8.       In response to the request for Operation Parkland to start earlier this year, Inspector Burton reported that as the operation was coordinated across all the SNTs in Suffolk, it needed to be run on the same timescale for all areas, i.e. from 15 July until September.

7.9.       Councillor Leeder  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Jubilee Park Play Area Update

Minutes:

8.1.       Ms Stannard, Parks and Cemeteries Operations Manager, reported that the improvement works to the Jubilee Park play area had commenced: Heras fencing had been erected and some of the trees had been felled. Play area equipment would be provided for juniors and toddlers, and this would be safe, robust and urban in nature.  Works were due to be completed by mid-August 2019.

8.2.       Councillor Lockington asked if there would be enough slides for the younger children.  Ms Stannard reported that there would be assisted swings and swings for older children and this area would be fenced in.

8.3.       Councillor Jones commented that equipment in Jubilee Park had previously been subject to vandalism and ASB, but the proposed improvements would make the area more resilient and it would be locked at night.  Ms Stannard added that the walls would be taken down to make it an open space and easier to monitor the area.

8.4.       Councillor Lockington asked whether there would be sufficient shade after the removal of trees.  Ms Stannard reported that 2 large maple and 8 mature hornbeam trees would be planted, which would provide shade, but whose shape would not obstruct the CCTV cameras. 

9.

Presentation: Broomhill Pool Update

Minutes:

9.1.       Mr Tim Mills, Director of Business Development at Fusion Lifestyle and Mr Alan Wilkinson, KLH Architects, gave a presentation on the restoration and redevelopment of Broomhill Pool with the following key points:

·           Fusion Lifestyle was an independent charity dedicated to promoting healthy lifestyles and well-being and increasing participation in healthy activities

·           Fusion restore, redevelop and manage over 80 community sport facilities in the UK, including 6 outdoor pools/lidos

·           Surplus income from their facilities was reinvested in developments and improving services provided

·           Broomhill Pool opened in 1938 and was very popular between 1950s and 1970s before the advent of the heated indoor pool

·           Following its closure in 2002, the Broomhill Pool Trust was formed

·           In 2011, the Council reaffirmed its £1million commitment and Fusion was appointed as IBC’s preferred partner to deliver the redevelopment scheme

·           In late 2017, Fusion secured a large HLF grant of £3.5million, in addition to the Council’s £1million and Fusion’s contribution of £2million

·           The proposals would bring the 50mx80m pool back into use, reinstate the clock tower, restore the grandstand, sun terrace complete with chequerboard tiling, diving stage (only lower board and springboard in use), ticket office and outdoor café

·           The new build element would introduce a health and well-being fitness studio that would provide all-year income

·           A new unisex changing area would replace the former ladies changing area

·           A wider disabled access ramp would be provided, plus disabled access up to the new building

·           The outdoor pool water would heated just enough to take the chill off

·           A Learning and Outreach Officer would be employed to ensure local investment in the site and its activities programme

·           The Council had pledged a further £500k to bring the total funding to £7million

·           Current estimate of the total scheme was £7.2million – the aim was to progress the scheme alongside further fundraising

·           £250k had already been spent on the development of the proposals

·           KLH Architects were appointed to lead on the redevelopment project

·           Multiple surveys had been undertaken, planning permission was in place subject to Section 106 agreement and the lease completed with the Council

·           Next steps included development of designs, appointment of construction contractor, development of delivery plan and regular communications as the project moved forward

·           Anticipated timescales: Design development and procurement of contractor by early 2020, Restoration/redevelopment works by early 2021, with opening of the restored facility in Spring 2021

9.2.       Local resident: How long was the lease with the Council?  50 years.

9.3.       Local resident: There has been a delay in the project in order to raise funds, with opening date now anticipated in 2021; have the costs gone up in that time?
The estimated cost of £7.2million has taken inflation into account over the life of the project; any impact arising from Brexit remained unclear.

9.4.       Councillor I Lockington asked how local residents would be informed as the project progressed, particularly in relation to the loss of on-street parking.  There would be regular communications and updates provided; how best to achieve this was to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

CAC/19/01 Funding Request: Christ Church - Holiday at Home pdf icon PDF 113 KB

Minutes:

10.1.    Mr Turnbull, Community Engagement Officer, reported that £605 was requested by Christ Church to deliver their ‘Holiday at Home’ activities in July 2019.

10.2.    Ms Durnford, Chair of the Church Life Committee, reported that the Holiday at Home scheme was in its 6th year and the funding would enable the activities to be delivered for free so that money would not be a barrier to those wishing to participate.  This year’s activities over 3 days would include a half-day outing including afternoon tea, craft morning, an American-themed day about Mississippi, with themed meal and jazz band.

10.3.    A letter of support for this funding proposal had been received and was tabled at the meeting.

10.4.    Councillor Leeder was in support of this scheme, which helped to address loneliness and social isolation, and added that Christ Church was always very careful with their budgets.

10.5.    Councillor T Lockington commented that loneliness was a common issue in hostels and asked how people were signposted to this scheme. Ms Durnford reported that the activities were publicised at two Sheltered Housing schemes, in the church magazine and also at Mary-le-Tower Church; however, anyone could be referred to participate in the activities.  Last year, 35 people took part, but that was probably the upper limit for the number of participants as many people required one-to-one support.  

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £605 from the Central Area Committee budget to Christ Church for its ‘Holiday at Home’ activities.

 

Reason: To enable Christ Church to host a ‘Holiday at Home’ for elderly and/or more vulnerable members of the community in Ipswich

11.

CAC/19/02 Funding Request: Venue Hire and Publicity Budget pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

11.1.    Mr Turnbull reported that £500 was requested to cover costs relating to advertising and venue hire for the Central Area Committee in 2019/20.

 

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve the allocation of £500 from the Central Area Committee budget for costs associated with advertising and venue hire for the Central Area Committee for 2019/20, as detailed in Appendix 1 to the report.

 

Reason: To facilitate the good running of the Area Committee, meeting the goal to devolve power closer to the people

12.

CAC/19/03 Central Area Committee - Area Action Plan pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

12.1.    Mr Turnbull presented the ward data and statistics relating to the Central Ipswich area; much of the data was based on the previous Census data from 2011 and Index of Multiple Deprivation data from 2015, although the crime statistics were from 2019.

12.2.    Councillor I Lockington highlighted that there was a higher male than female population in Alexandra and Westgate wards, whereas this was reversed in St Margaret’s ward.

12.3.    Local resident: Has there been an increase in fly-tipping in relation to the Council’s change to bin collections?
Councillor Jones commented that fly-tipping was more of an issue in Central Ipswich and was regularly reported for clearance, even when it was on private land.  Councillor Leeder added that the Central Area Committee had previously identified fly-tipping as a priority and had allocated a budget to enable the Council to tackle fly-tipping on private land when it was difficult to identify the landowner.

12.4.    Councillor I Lockington requested that fly-tipping be dealt in the same manner across the 3 wards.  Mr Fairclough, Head of Culture and Environment, reported that the Central Area Committee fly-tipping budget was only used if the request originated from a Central Ipswich ward Councillor.

12.5.    It was agreed that the Domains of Deprivation and Corporate Plan Aims that formed the priorities for 2018/19 be carried forward as the priorities for 2019/20.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee agrees the following priorities for the 2019/20 municipal year and adopts them as its Area Action Plan:

 

·                     Domains of Deprivation: ‘Crime’, ‘Education, Skills and Training’, ‘Health and Disability’

·                     Corporate Plan: ‘A Sustainable Environment’, ‘A Healthy Community’ and ‘Safe Communities’

 

Reason: Priorities provide the basis of an action plan that will enable the Area Committee to clearly communicate its vision and priorities for the area and will help demonstrate how its budget is being allocated to deliver the priorities set for the area.

13.

Chair's Update on Actions from Previous Meetings

Minutes:

13.1.    County Councillor West reported that the missing signage on Rope Walk had been replaced on 10 May 2019.

13.2.    Woodbridge Road 20mph scheme: County Councillor West reported that the safety audit on the proposed designs had resulted in some small amendments and the proposals were now ready for formal advertising; this had been delayed due to the local elections.  

13.3.    Silent Street public highway: County Councillor West reported that the damage to the public highway had been caused by a number of contractors over time; the most recent, Cadent, had been ordered to reinstate the paving, and Suffolk Highways engineers would be following up the historic works that had resulted in a sunken area and cracked paving slabs.

13.4.    St Helen’s Street/Kings Avenue: Proposals had been drawn up to stop off part of Milner Street to prevent rat-running; Suffolk Highways engineers would be consulting with residents in the next 6 weeks, part of which would involve a drop-in event, date to be arranged.

14.

Community Intelligence - Verbal Update from Ward Councillors

Minutes:

14.1.    Councillor Kreidewolf reported that the Clarkson Street street party would be taking place again this year on Saturday 15 June 2019.

14.2.    Councillor Jones commented that she had been dealing with issues relating to buildings being converted to HMOs without requiring planning permission, causing concern to neighbouring residents.

14.3.    Councillor I Lockington reported that bollards were to be installed in Sirdar Road and Surrey Road, funded from the SCC Highways budget.

15.

CAC/19/04 Area Committee Budget Update pdf icon PDF 60 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

15.1.    Mr Fairclough reported that since the last meeting, £550 of the Making a Difference (MAD) budget for St Margaret’s ward was approved for the marketing of the ‘Take the Lead’ campaign to encourage responsible dog ownership. 
This resulted in a total spend of £950 from the MAD budget for 2018/19 and therefore the unspent £850 of the MAD budget would be returned to the main unallocated budget, resulting in an opening balance of £18,838.75 for 2019/20.

15.2.    Following the financial commitment of £1,105 arising from the approved funding requests, the unallocated Central Area Committee budget was now £17,733.75.  The Committee was requested to consider how much funding to allocate to establish a MAD budget for 2019/20, and it was agreed that this budget be set at £1,800.

Resolved:

 

(i)           that the financial statement in Appendix 1 of the report be noted;

(ii)         that the allocation of £1,800 from the Central Area Committee budget to establish a Making a Difference (MAD) budget for 2019/20 be approved.

 

Reasons:

(i)           To provide clear and transparent details of the amount of funds available to the Area Committee to deliver the priorities in its action plan;

(ii)          To allow the Central Area Committee to devolve up to 10% of its annual budget to support small scale community initiatives.