Agenda and draft minutes

Central Area Committee
Wednesday 30th May 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Co-op Education Centre – Pioneer Hall, 11 Fore Street, IP4 1JW

Contact: Linda Slowgrove  01473 432511

Items
No. Item

1.

Election of Chair

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that Councillor Gibbs be elected Chair of the Central Area Committee for the 2018/19 municipal year.

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Leeder and County Councillor Gaylard.

3.

Unconfirmed Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 113 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 7 March 2018.

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Minutes of the meeting held on 7 March 2018 be signed as a true record.

4.

To Confirm or Vary the Order of Business

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Order of Business be confirmed as printed on the Agenda.

5.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

Councillor Jones, having being closely involved in the Ipswich Women’s Festival Group project, declared an interest in Agenda Item 9 (CAC/18/02) and left the room during the consideration of this item.

6.

To Confirm the Venues of Future Meetings

·                Wednesday 11 July 2018, 7pm – St Margaret’s Primary School, Bolton Lane, IP4 2BT

·                Wednesday 5 September 2018, 7pm – Westgate ward

·                Wednesday 7 November 2018, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                Wednesday 9 January 2019, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·                Wednesday 6 March 2019, 7pm – Westgate ward

 

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the meetings and venues be confirmed as follows:

 

·                    Wednesday 11 July 2018, 7pm – St Margaret’s Primary School, Bolton Lane, IP4 2BT

·                    Wednesday 5 September 2018, 7pm – Westgate ward

·                    Wednesday 7 November 2018, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                    Wednesday 9 January 2019, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·                    Wednesday 6 March 2019, 7pm – Westgate ward

7.

Responses to Public Questions Received and Open Discussion on Local Issues

(a)          Police Priorities

Minutes:

7.1.       The Chair introduced Inspector Weaver of the Central Ipswich Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT), who provided the following update on policing priorities:

A public meeting was recently held with the Police and Crime Commissioner, where issues were raised in relation to the night-time economy and lack of Police coverage, which has been addressed by increasing patrols.

The Youth Gangs Prevention Unit had been set up under the multi-agency team and would be looking at intervention work in addition to ongoing enforcement work.

Operation Parkland, which addressed youth anti-social behaviour during the summer months, had started again with the SNTs targeting hot spots of anti-social behaviour.  It was important that the public continue to report anti-social behaviour so that the correct areas could be targeted.

Town Centre anti-social behaviour – begging/rough sleeping: there has been a reduction in the number of rough sleepers, with a recent sweep identifying less than 10 in the town centre.

Town Centre retail theft: As part of Operation Sultana, a meeting was arranged with town centre retailers to discuss working together with the Police to tackle shoplifting, but only 5-6 retailers were present.  Mr Coe would be contacting Ipswich Central to encourage greater engagement from town centre businesses.

 

7.2.       Local resident: There has been some begging issues on Cardinal Park with arriving visitors being targeted.
Cardinal Park falls under the Ipswich West SNT, so this matter would be referred to Inspector Horton.

7.3.       Councillor Lockington: Is Suffolk Police fully resourced now?
Details of future resource levels were not yet known, although SNT resource was likely to increase; currently there was a full complement of PCSOs, but there was a shortage of 3 or 4 PCs. 

 

7.4.       The Chair reported that 2 questions/issues had been received in advance of the meeting.

Question/Issue 1: Local resident

Please can CCTV cameras be considered on Meridian Rise to help address the ASB issues experienced by residents in this area.


Within the area there have been reports of ASB, which have been tasked and managed by both IBC and the Police. There have been a number of interventions jointly by IBC and the Police, however it has been exceptionally difficult to secure corroborative evidence so that those responsible for the issues there can be dealt with robustly.

 

This was the main issue despite increased police patrols to the area as it is relatively easy for those responsible to quickly disperse, so a CCTV would likely to have a positive impact in either detecting crime and/or reducing it by means of deterrent.

 

If those responsible were identified via CCTV then they can be dealt with. However, there remains the possibility that the CCTV will actively place the issues to a new location.

 

A request for CCTV in this location would be considered by the next meeting of the CCTV Steering Group, which meets monthly.

7.5.       Inspector Weaver added that other areas within Central Ipswich were also being subjected to anti-social behaviour and CCTV could act as a deterrent.  However,  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

CAC/18/01 Funding Request: Bangladeshi Support Centre pdf icon PDF 161 KB

Minutes:

8.1.       Ms Alice Firbank, Community Engagement Officer, apologised that a representative was not able to attend as there had been a mix-up over the meeting dates.

8.2.       Ms Firbank reported that this funding request was being considered by all 5 Area Committees, and funding was being sought to cover the cost of existing projects run by the Bangladeshi Support Centre (BSC), who offered a wide range of activities, including cultural events and befriending services, for people of various nationalities, backgrounds and ages.  A contribution of £2,831.01 was being requested from the Central Area Committee.

8.3.       Ms Firbank reported that the BSC also received a Council community cash grant of £8,500 towards the running costs of their building and £6,500 from the Council’s housing budget to support Council tenants.

8.4.       Councillor Lockington: Under the proposed Area Committee funding guidelines, if this funding was approved, the BSC would not be able to apply for Area Committee funding for 2 years.
It was not anticipated that the BSC would need to return to apply for this funding again next year as they had applied to other funding sources, but if they were to apply, it would be at the Committee’s discretion whether to allocate funding again.

8.5.       Councillor Jones: How much was the cut in funding from SCC?
This was £100k over a 3-year period, and the BSC were made aware of this in advance.  BSC have received support from the Council’s External Funding Officer to enable them to apply to other funding sources.

8.6.       Councillor Kreidewolf: The BSC did excellent work and were already in receipt of £15,000 core funding from the Council, plus a rent discount on the Tower Street premises. This additional funding would be to address the funding cut by SCC.

8.7.       County Councillor Abbott: Labour County Councillors would be making a contribution towards the BSC from their locality budgets.  The BSC would also be applying to other funding sources.

8.8.       Councillor Cook: In addition to this funding, officer support should be provided to help the BSC to identify options for their long-term sustainability.
The Communities Team, including the External Funding Officer, would be able to offer advice.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £2,831.01 from the Central Area Committee budget to the Bangladeshi Support Centre as a contribution towards the existing programme of activities and projects.

 

Reason: To enable the Bangladeshi Support Centre to continue to support vulnerable people within Ipswich

9.

CAC/18/02 Funding Request: Ipswich Women's Festival Group - Women's Voices, Women's Votes 100 Years On pdf icon PDF 120 KB

Minutes:

9.1.       Ms Firbank introduced Pat Dobson and Pauline Henry of the Ipswich Women’s Festival Group, who gave a presentation with the following key points in support of their funding application:

·           Project aims to celebrate 100 years of women first getting the vote

·           Numerous partner organisations were already involved

·           Project seeks to inspire women to use their vote, participate in democratic and public life, promote gender equality and develop networks across women’s and girls’ organisations

·           Ipswich was chosen for his project due to its socio-economic challenges, below average educational attainment and lower aspirations for girls

·           Main event would take place on 6 October 2018 at the University of Suffolk, with up to 300 attendees, and would include keynote speakers, workshops, film and photographic events and an ‘EqualiTea’, where groups gather together for a tea party and to discuss what equality means to them

·           Other smaller ‘EqualiTeas’ would be held on the run up to this event, hosted by a number of different organisations  

9.2.       The Ipswich Women’s Festival Group added that they would be happy to feed back on the outcomes of the project at a future meeting.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £878.91 from the Central Area Committee budget to the Ipswich Women’s Festival Group as a contribution towards the cost of the project to celebrate 100 years of the women’s vote.

 

Reason: This project would further raise awareness of women’s issues and enable women’s participation in civic life.

10.

CAC/18/03 Funding Request: Venue Hire and Publicity Budget pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

10.1.    Ms Firbank reported that £500 was requested to cover costs relating to advertising and venue hire for Central Area Committee meetings in 2018/19 so that meetings could be held out in the community.

 

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve the allocation of £500 from the Central Area Committee budget for costs associated with advertising and venue hire for the Central Area Committee for 2018/19, as detailed in Appendix 1 to the report.

 

Reason: To facilitate the good running of the Area Committee, meeting the goal to devolve power closer to the people

11.

CAC/18/04 Central Area Committee - Area Action Plan pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

11.1.    Ms Firbank reported that a survey had been sent to ward Councillors requesting their preferences on the priorities arising from the Domains of Deprivation and the Council’s Corporate Plan.  The responses had been collated for consideration.

11.2.    Ms Firbank reported that responses had been received from 5 of the 9 ward Councillors.

11.3.    After a brief discussion, it was agreed to defer the consideration of the Action Plan Priorities to enable further consultation with the ward Councillors.

Resolved:

 

that the report be deferred until the next meeting.

 

Reason: To enable further consultation with ward Councillors to be undertaken.

12.

CAC/18/05 Area Committee Funding Guidelines pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

12.1.    Ms Firbank reported that the previous Area Committee funding guidelines had been reviewed, as the level of information required from applicants was not always proportionate to the amount of funding being requested.  The new guidelines also allowed for more of the process to be done online. 

12.2.    Councillor Jones suggested that it might be useful to add a link to Councillors’ contact details under the ‘how to apply’ section.

12.3.    Councillor Lockington reported that SCC locality budgets could not be used to pay for refreshments.  Ms Firbank commented that the Area Committee funding guidelines did not apply the same restriction, as the offer of refreshments often helped to bring people together, but applicants would be advised to downgrade the level of refreshments provided using Area Committee funding.

Resolved:

 

that the Area Committee Funding Guidelines attached at Appendix 1 to the report and the Making a Difference Budget Funding Guidelines attached at Appendix 2 to the report be adopted.

 

Reason: To clearly set out the approach to providing support via Area Committee funding and to provide guidance for the allocation of funding.

13.

Chair's Update on Actions from Previous Meetings

Minutes:

13.1.    The Chair reported that a handout was available at the meeting that provided details of proposed road closures relating to the Great East Run that would be taking place in Ipswich on Sunday 16 September 2018.

14.

Community Intelligence - Verbal Update from Ward Councillors

Minutes:

14.1.    Councillor Reynolds reported that he had been dealing with illegal parking issues on Berner Street with the help of officers.

14.2.    Councillor Cook reported that CCTV had been installed in the alleyway between St Helen’s Street and Woodbridge Road, and users of the school and the playgroup were delighted.

14.3.    The Chair reported, on behalf of County Councillor Gaylard, concerns about the delay in progressing the request for a 20mph limit on Woodbridge Road as consultation letters for this scheme were not expected to be issued until 15 June 2018.  Additionally, there were safety concerns about the crossing on Woodbridge Road for St Helen’s School, which had become dangerous as there were no warning signs, the pelican crossing signals were obscured by bushes on the left and queuing lorries on the right, pavements were very narrow and there was no waiting area for pedestrians about to use the crossing on the north side of the road.  Discussions had previously taken place between the school governors and Suffolk Highways about possible improvements, but nothing had happened since.  Details of these issues would be forwarded to County Councillor West to follow up with Suffolk Highways.

15.

CAC/18/06 Area Committee Budget Update pdf icon PDF 63 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

15.1.    Mr Ian Kerrison, Operations Manager for Waste and Fleet, reported that at the start of the new municipal year, the Central Area Committee had an unallocated budget of £22,738.25 to spend on its priorities.

15.2.    Following the financial commitment of £4,209.92 arising from the approved funding requests, the unallocated Central Area Committee budget was now £18,528.33.  The Committee was requested to consider how much funding to allocate to establish a Making a Difference (MAD) budget for 2018/19 and to return the unspent MAD budget from 2017/18 to the main unallocated budget.

Resolved:

 

(i)           that the financial statement in Appendix 1 of the report be noted;

(ii)         that the allocation of £1,800 from the Central Area Committee budget to establish a Making a Difference (MAD) budget for 2018/19 be approved;

(iii)        that the return of the unspent MAD funding for 2017/18 (£1,140) to the main unallocated Central Area Committee budget be approved.

Reasons:

(i)           To provide clear and transparent details of the amount of funds available to the Area Committee to deliver the priorities in its action plan;

(ii)          To allow the Central Area Committee to devolve up to 10% of its annual budget to support small scale community initiatives;

(iii)         To release any Central Area Committee budget funding where there is no further expenditure anticipated.