Agenda and minutes

Central Area Committee
Wednesday 7th March 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Bramford Road Methodist Church, Bramford Road, IP1 4AY

Contact: Linda Slowgrove  01473 432511

Items
No. Item

66.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Leeder, County Councillor Abbott, County Councillor Chambers and County Councillor Gaylard.

67.

Unconfirmed Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 120 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 17 January 2018.

Minutes:

67.1.    The Consultation Officer for the Upper Orwell Crossings Project proposed that the following amendments be applied:

 

·           Minute 56.1, 6th bullet point: “…. to advise of possible changes in noise levels …”

·           Minute 56.1, 8th bullet point: “Following the Ground Investigation works, informal engagement events, including focus groups, would be held, public consultation on the proposed designs would take place in autumn 2018, and the application for Development Consent Order …”

·           Minute 56.2: “There had to be certainty about the location of the bridge before this information could be released for consultation to avoid unnecessary blight …”   

 

These amendments were approved.  An amendment was also proposed to Minute 56.3, but this was not approved.

 

Resolved:

 

that, subject to the amendments above, the Minutes of the meeting held on 17 January 2018 be signed as a true record.

68.

To Confirm or Vary the Order of Business

Minutes:

68.1.    The Chair reported that Agenda Item 12 (report CAC/17/24) had been withdrawn from the Agenda as the improvements to the Jubilee Park CCTV would now be funded from the Council’s Core Budget.

 

Resolved:

 

that, subject to the withdrawal of Agenda Item 12, the Order of Business be confirmed as printed on the Agenda.

69.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

70.

To Confirm the Venues of Future Meetings

·                Wednesday 30 May  2018, 7pm – Co-op Education Centre – Pioneer Hall, 11 Fore Street, IP4 1JW

·                Wednesday 11 July 2018, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·                Wednesday 5 September 2018, 7pm – Westgate ward

·                Wednesday 7 November 2018, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                Wednesday 9 January 2019, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·                Wednesday 6 March 2019, 7pm – Westgate ward

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the meetings and venues be confirmed as follows:

 

·                Wednesday 30 May  2018, 7pm – Co-op Education Centre – Pioneer Hall, 11 Fore Street, IP4 1JW

·                Wednesday 11 July 2018, 7pm – St Margaret’s Primary School, Bolton Lane, IP4 2BT

·                Wednesday 5 September 2018, 7pm – Westgate ward

·                Wednesday 7 November 2018, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                Wednesday 9 January 2019, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·                Wednesday 6 March 2019, 7pm – Westgate ward

71.

Responses to Public Questions Received and Open Discussion on Local Issues

(a)          Police Priorities

Minutes:

71.1.    The Chair introduced Inspector Weaver of the Central Ipswich Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT), who provided the following update on policing priorities:

YMCA: SCC Social Care have 2 officers working with the YMCA to provide an education programme for susceptible young people and help prevent their involvement with drug gangs.  The Police were called out when young people did not come back after curfew, but there have been less calls received in recent months.

Operation Sultana – tackling rough sleeping/begging in the town centre: Plain clothes patrols have been utilised to target prolific shoplifters.  There has been a reduction in the number of rough sleepers, but this was most likely due to people utilising the winter night shelters. The Help our Homeless campaign was ongoing and aimed to educate the public not to give money to people begging on the streets, but to donate to the agencies that could provide help for the homeless, especially during the colder weather.

Operation Silverton – tackling prostitution: 8 potential street workers have been identified and a multi-agency approach, involving Turning Point and Housing Associations, has been taken to help those involved; the next step would be to target those people who seek to engage with street workers.

Retail crime in the town centre: More responsibility was being placed on the Town Rangers and businesses to tackle low-level shoplifting so that Police resource could be utilised elsewhere.

Gang-related violence: There has been a decline in violence between the 2 gangs in Ipswich, but there was always the potential for this to be triggered via social media.  The Police were also addressing the hidden vulnerability of young girls and their susceptibility to get involved in gangs in order to make money to pay off debts.

71.2.    Councillor Cook:  Does the reduction in violence mean that the gangs have settled the turf between them?
The issue was more of a ‘them and us’ culture between the 2 gangs; however, the reduction could be due to a number of key players being in prison or on remand, but they could get replaced quickly.

71.3.    Councillor Reynolds: Was there an easy way to shutdown social media platforms, such as Facebook and Instagram?
Google owns a lot of the software, so it would be necessary to contact their main centre in America; however, the Police could request that inappropriate content be taken down.

71.4.    The Chair reported that one question/issue had been received in writing in advance of the meeting.

71.5.    Question/Issue 1: Local resident
“I wish to report a pothole outside the Great White Horse Hotel and Santander Bank on the speed hump at the junction of Northgate Street and Upper Brook Street.”

Potholes were the responsibility of Suffolk Highways; this particular issue has already been reported to them via their online reporting system on 22 February 2018 (reference: 198862) and was currently under investigation.

Councillor Riley added that there was now a white line around this defect, so hopefully some action would be taken soon.

72.

Upper Orwell Crossing Project Update

Minutes:

72.1.    The Chair introduced Ms Suzanne Buck, Project Manager for the Upper Orwell Crossings, who gave a presentation with the following key points:

·           Benefits of the project included a reduction in journey times through the town centre, improved connectivity, reduction in congestion, new sustainable routes for cyclists and pedestrians and savings relating to shortened journey times in peak hours.

·           Ground investigation works in the river were almost complete and had confirmed the location of chalk.

·           Only one noise complaint had been received; the noise monitoring data would be taken forward for the construction period.

·           Details of the alignment had been announced: the main crossing would connect to the highway at the Rapier Street roundabout on Wherstead Road on the west side of the river and to a new junction on Holywells Road, north of Cliff Lane, on the east side of the river.

·           A public information event had been held at DanceEast on 6 March 2018 with over 400 people attending throughout the day.

·           Engagement would take place with interested parties [e.g. Friends of Holywells Park, Ipswich Society, Engineering Society, Chamber of Commerce] and further informal public information events would take place leading up to the formal consultation period.

·           The design visualisation would be announced in Spring 2018 and the formal consultation would commence in Autumn 2018; if consent was granted, construction would commence in 2020.

·           Further project information could be found on the following website: www.suffolk.gov.uk/upperorwellcrossings, along with contact information.

72.2.    Councillor Reynolds: Will the main crossing be easy for pedestrians and cyclists to use?
The gradient of the main crossing was towards the upper limit in design terms in order to permit most boat users to be able to pass under it and therefore limit the number of times that the bridge would need to be opened.  Cyclists would also be able to cross the river via the other two proposed crossings.

72.3.    Local resident: Thank you for providing regular updates on this project.  Would there be an information stand at the Suffolk Show?
Details of any future events would be announced using existing communication channels.

72.4.    Councillor Riley: There could be a potential for traffic to queue leading up to the bridge, especially around the roundabout on Wherstead Road; has the issue of air pollution been considered?
Additional air monitoring points would be considered; noise and air quality monitoring would need to be considered as part of the planning process.  An increase in traffic alone would not necessarily give rise to an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA) as other environmental factors would need to be involved, e.g. corridor effect of neighbouring buildings.
When would the air quality monitoring impact be considered?
This would be part of the transport modelling, looking at the impact on junctions.  Some information should be available prior to the formal consultation.

72.5.    Councillor Cook: A number of businesses will be affected by the proposed alignment and would need to relocate; has this information be passed to the Council’s Economic Development Team?
The  ...  view the full minutes text for item 72.

73.

Presentation: 26th Ipswich Scouts Update

Minutes:

73.1.    Mr Andy Black, Scout Leader for the 26th Ipswich Scouts Group, introduced 3 members of his Scout Group who gave a presentation on the activities of the Scout Group with the following points:

·           Challenge Adventures have taken the Scouts to many places, including the Kandersteg International Scout Centre in Switzerland, Winter Camp at Gilwell Park Chingford, Orwell District Night Light activities, the Peak District and the local Scout camp, Hallowtree.

·           The lightweight tents funded by the Area Committee have been put to good use in the UK and in Switzerland.

·           Other activities include water activities on the River Deben, such as raft building, and an introduction to kayaking in the indoor pool at the Royal Hospital School.

·           The Cub Youth Council were challenged to invent a new activity, which was then trialled in the woods at Hallowtree camp.

·           Future activities include Norjam 2018, the Scout and Guide jamboree in Norfolk, and the World Scout Jamboree in 2019 in North America.

·           Scouts also work with local groups and charities, and have raised money for the Recycle charity and have purchased PA equipment for use for Dementia Friendly fundraising.

·           Voluntary work was undertaken as part of the Duke of Edinburgh Award and there were opportunities within the organisation to support young people, take on ‘behind the scene’ roles and lead Groups, Districts, Counties and Regions as volunteer managers.

·           Scouting in the UK has been increasing over the last 8 years, with more young people doing adventurous activities as Scouts than with any other organisation, and each year Scouts spend over 2 million nights away from home doing adventurous activities.

·           26th Ipswich Scouts can be followed on social media (Facebook and Twitter).

74.

CAC/17/21 Funding Request: Ipswich Borough Council Summer Holiday Activities Programme pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

74.1.    Mr Wilesmith, Sports and Leisure Manager, reported that £3,081.20 was requested to deliver this year’s programme under the Jumpers for Goalposts brand, with a range of activities in parks and open spaces, plus 3 main elements:

This Girl Can Football: Aimed at 5-14 year old girls, to be run in sports centres with the opportunity to transfer onto local clubs

Tennis For Free: Offered as a family activity and a real success last year, this will be offered at Christchurch Park and Northgate Sports Centre

Basketball: Very popular with 8-19 year olds and often brings communities together; the Ipswich under-16 girls were the national champions

74.2.    Councillor Jones: It was important to work with the schools to target those who have not previously taken part, particularly in the more deprived areas.

74.3.    Councillor Kreidewolf: This project is brought to the Area Committees each year for funding; this needs to be more sustainable, could it not be funded from the core sports budget?
This request will be forwarded on for consideration.

74.4.    Councillor Kreidewolf: How will the project engage with local schools, e.g. Handford Hall Primary School and Springfield Junior School?
There has been a recent review of how the project linked up with schools and a list of school contacts has been drawn up with the preferred method of contacting families, e.g. parent mail, leaflets, e-flyers; visits to school assemblies were also being arranged. 

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £3,081.20 from the Central Area Committee budget to deliver the planned programme of summer holiday activities in Central Ipswich.

 

Reason: The Jumpers for Goalposts programme has had good participation numbers over the last 4 years and this will allow young people across the town to participate in physical activity over the summer.

75.

CAC/17/22 Funding Request: Future Female Society - 'More than Mum' Project pdf icon PDF 136 KB

Minutes:

75.1.    Ms Firbank, Community Engagement Officer, reported that £3,300 was requested by the Future Female Society to deliver the ‘More than Mum’ project. 

75.2.    Ms Kim Trotter, Managing Director, reported that the Future Female Society was established a year ago and this flagship project offered support to young mothers to help them develop confidence and skills to enable them towards future training/employment opportunities. The project offered facilitated sessions, in partnership with female role models and business leaders, culminating in participants organising and putting on an event.

75.3.    Councillor Reynolds: Will there be opportunities for 3-month placements?
Discussions were being held with Realise Futures about developing future opportunities for people to progress into; one person who had previously been through the program was now volunteering at Realise Futures.

75.4.    Councillor Holmes:  In addition to the Westgate ward, there were also some areas of deprivation within St Margaret’s ward.
Project sessions would be open to people from all 3 wards.

75.5.    Councillor Lockington: How are people made aware of this programme?
This has been promoted through the former Mygo service and though links with the DWP, with presentations to young single mothers; people could also be signposted via family link workers.  Future Female Society was based on South Street and already had a waiting list of potential participants.

75.6.    Councillor Jones: Could there be capacity for more than 12 places, do some people drop out?
The nature of the programme was very involved and personal, especially the first sessions; if there were too many people at each session, it would not work as people would need to feel confident to share their experiences and have the time to be able to do so.  This was an intense programme that also provided a support network and mentoring after the programme.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £3,300 from the Central Area Committee budget to enable the Future Female Society to deliver the ‘More than Mum’ Project in Central Ipswich.

 

Reason: To meet the priorities of the Central Area Action Plan and the Council’s Corporate Plan and to encourage the employability, confidence and aspirations of women living in the Area.

76.

CAC/17/23 Funding Request: Ginnel Foto Fest 2018 pdf icon PDF 112 KB

Minutes:

76.1.    Ms Firbank reported that a contribution of £1,500 was requested towards the overall cost of hosting the ‘Ginnel Foto Fest’ in Clarkson Street Ipswich in May 2018.

76.2.    Mr Mike Chen, founder of the Ginnel Foto Fest, reported that the theme for this year’s festival was ‘Borderlands’ and highlighted the interactive nature of the event, both for those participating and attending.

76.3.    Mr Chen reported that the festival had received contributions from a number of organisations, including the Intrepid Camera Company, Snappy Snaps, Coes and Aspalls, and the Frame Workshop and Gallery on St Nicholas Street had offered to host the exhibition for free in June 2018.  All of the festival activities were free of charge.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £1,500 from the Central Area Committee budget for the Ginnel Foto Community as a contribution towards the overall cost of hosting the ‘Ginnel Foto Fest 2018’.

 

Reason: To support a grassroots organisation to deliver a local arts project that intends to engage the whole community in a deprived and diverse area of the town to educate, entertain and bring people together.

77.

CAC/17/24 Funding Request: Jubilee Park CCTV Improvement pdf icon PDF 320 KB

Minutes:

This item had been withdrawn from the Agenda.

78.

CAC/17/25 Section 106 Allocations in the Central Area pdf icon PDF 104 KB

Minutes:

78.1.    Mr Fairclough, Head of Culture and Environment, commented that this report provided a summary of Section 106 agreement developer contributions still to be spent, one of which applied to the Central Ipswich area.

78.2.    Councillor Jones commented that it would beneficial to provide a piece of public art that was both an interpretation of an arts project and something that children could play on.

 

Resolved:

 

that the Section 106 information detailed at Appendix A to the report be noted.

 

Reason: To keep the Area Committee informed of outstanding Section 106 amounts as per the request of the Strategic Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

79.

Chairman's Update on Actions from Previous Meetings

Minutes:

79.1.    Equalities Panel: The Chair reported that the local resident had attended the Council’s Equalities Panel as a community member.

79.2.    St Matthews Street Flooding Issue:  The Chair reported that this issue had been logged with Suffolk Highways on 23 January 2018 (reference number: 193204), but was still awaiting investigation.

79.3.    Graffiti on Virgin Media Cabinets: The Chair reported that the following actions had taken since the last meeting:

·           Customer Services Team have been briefed that all graffiti reports were to be logged and not diverted to the land/property owner

·           All reports of graffiti would now be sent to Waste Services and any private land/property issues would be shared with the Waste Enforcement Team, who would record all reports to provide an audit trail

·           Virgin Media have been responsive in responding to enforcement contact and have actioned all reported incidents in a reasonable timeframe, and were currently working with a national company for graffiti removal services

·           The local resident, who raised this issue, has been kept updated and was very satisfied with the actions to date

Mr Fairclough added that the following steps would be taken going forward:

·           The Operations Team would continue discussions with Virgin Media to seek an agreement for the Council to be able to remove graffiti from cabinets in order to simplify the process for all concerned

·           Ongoing monitoring of graffiti and response times for graffiti removal

·           Taking enforcement action where considered appropriate

80.

Community Intelligence - Verbal Update from Ward Councillors

Minutes:

80.1.    Councillor Lockington reported that she had mostly been dealing with potholes and other Highways issues arising from the recent wintry weather.

81.

CAC/17/26 Area Committee Budget Update pdf icon PDF 52 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

81.1.    Mr Fairclough reported that at the start of the meeting, the Central Area Committee had an unallocated budget of £12,572.55 to spend on its priorities.

81.2.    Following the financial commitment of £7,881.20 arising from the approved funding requests, the Central Area Committee now had a budget of £4,691.35 available.

Resolved:

 

that the financial statement of the Central Area Committee in Appendix 1 to the report be noted.

 

Reason: To provide an audit trail of funding that has been spent from the Central Area Committee budget