Agenda and minutes

Central Area Committee - Wednesday 19th July 2017 7.00 pm

Venue: Museum Street Methodist Church, Black Horse Lane, IP1 2EF

Contact: Linda Slowgrove  01473 432511

Note: Please enter via entrance on Black Horse Lane 

Items
No. Item

1.

Election of Chair

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that Councillor Gibbs be elected Chairman of the Central Area Committee for the 2017/18 municipal year.

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Leeder and Councillor Reynolds.

 

The Chairman congratulated Councillor Jack Abbott and Councillor Chris Chambers on their election as County Councillors.

3.

Unconfirmed Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 118 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 8 March 2017.

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Minutes of the meeting held on 8 March 2017 be signed as a true record.

4.

To Confirm or Vary the Order of Business

Minutes:

Councillor Jones proposed that agenda items 11 (report CAC/17/03) and 12 (report CAC/17/04) be considered after item 7 and this was agreed.

 

Resolved:

 

that, subject to agenda items 11 (report CAC/17/03) and 12 (report CAC/17/04) being considered after agenda item 7, the Order of Business be confirmed as printed on the Agenda.

5.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

6.

To Confirm the Venues of Future Meetings

·         Wednesday 13 September 2017, 7pm – Ipswich Community Church, Clarkson Street, IP1 2JP

·         Wednesday 8 November 2017, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·         Wednesday 17 January 2018, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·         Wednesday 7 March 2018, 7pm – Westgate ward

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the meetings and venues be confirmed as follows:

 

·                Wednesday 13 September 2017, 7pm – Ipswich Community Church, Clarkson Street, IP1 2JP

·                Wednesday 8 November 2017, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·                Wednesday 17 January 2018, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·                Wednesday 7 March 2018, 7pm – Westgate ward

7.

Responses to Public Questions Received and Open Discussion on Local Issues

(a)          Police Priorities

Minutes:

7.1.        The Chairman introduced Acting Inspector Vicky McParland of the Ipswich Central Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) who provided the following update on policing priorities:

Drug-related anti-social behaviour in Alexandra ward: Operation Woven had been set up as a response to gang-related violence and since the last meeting there had been over 120 arrests. Operation Volcanic, which aimed to target drug running across county lines, had been rebranded as Operation Velocity, with a greater emphasis placed on protecting the more vulnerable members of the community from becoming involved in drugs activity.  All community intelligence was vital to these operations and could be reported by calling 101, emailing the SNT (ipswichcentral.snt@suffolk.pnn.police.uk) or calling anonymously to Crime Stoppers (0800 555 111 or www.crimestoppers-uk.org).

Anti-social behaviour in the town centre (street begging and rough sleeping): This issue was still ongoing in the town centre and also across the bridge by the station.  The multi-agency ‘Help our Homeless’ project had recently been launched to help raise the profile of the homeless in Ipswich and to signpost people to where they could get help and advice.  Money raised by this initiative would be used by the Ipswich Umbrella Trust for outreach work with genuinely homeless people.
[** Note: This minute was subsequently amended at the meeting held on 13 September 2017.]


Anti-social behaviour on the Meridian Rise development (off Woodbridge Road):  Young people had been causing a nuisance by riding motorbikes through this new development.  Operation Parkland had been targeting anti-social behaviour hotspots in this location, and also at Jubilee Park and the bottom of Christchurch Park, using powers to disperse those causing trouble.

7.2.        Local resident: There were often problems with ball games and people playing loud music on the way home from clubs.
This should be reported to the Police, with the time and location, and resource would be allocated to address this.

7.3.        Local resident: I work with migrant communities in Central Ipswich, but no longer have a liaison contact in the Police.
A suitable contact would be provided.

7.4.        Local resident: Is begging outside Sainsbury on Upper Brook Street still an issue?
This issue tended to move around and was not currently an issue at this location.

7.5.        The Chairman reported that 2 questions/issues had been received in writing in advance of the meeting.

7.6.        Question 1: Councillor David Goldsmith (Castle Hill ward Councillor)

“Who is responsible in respect of repairing motor vehicles on the public highway as a business, and can this be stopped?”

Responsibility for businesses illegally operating on the public highway fell under the remit of the Council’s Environmental Protection Team, who were aware of this issue and had been dealing the matter over the last few weeks.   Additionally, some A5 posters were being produced that would be displayed on the most affected streets.

Councillor Kreidewolf added that he had accompanied the Environmental Health Officers when they had been recently visited the Westgate area and commented that they needed to be able to distinguish between  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

CAC/17/03 Funding Request: Inspire Suffolk Sports and Media Youth Programme pdf icon PDF 510 KB

Minutes:

8.1.        Ms Firbank, Community Engagement Officer, reported that £500 was requested from the Central Area Committee as a match funding contribution towards the Inspire Suffolk Sports and Media Youth Programme.

8.2.        Ms Thornton, Grant & Development Manager for Inspire Suffolk, reported that this project would engage with young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and deliver education through sport and mentoring activities to help to get young people back into education, training or work.  The project had already secured significant funding subject to a match funding contribution and £4,000 was being requested across the 5 Area Committees, with £500 being requested from the Central Area Committee.

8.3.        Councillor Jones commented that Inspire Suffolk had been granted £5,000 by the Council’s Cemeteries recycling fund and asked whether that could be used for match funding.  Ms Thornton reported that the £5,000 was core funding for Inspire Suffolk and not for this project.

8.4.        Councillor Jones asked what schools would be approached for this project.  Ms Thornton reported that high schools would be approached, but there would be open access to this project.

8.5.        Councillor Jones raised concern about duplication with other programmes, e.g. Ipswich Community Media, YMCA and asked whether the project would be targeting those in particular need.  Ms Thornton commented that there was no reason that young people couldn’t access more than one programme and added that the venue for this project was in the heart of a deprived area of Ipswich.

8.6.        Councillor Cook asked whether match funding required an equal funding to be provided to secure the grant.  Ms Thornton reported that funding was only required to make up the deficiency for the first year of the project.

8.7.        Councillor Lockington asked whether further funding would be required in the following 2 years of the project.

8.8.        Councillor Kreidewolf commented that a significant amount of funding could be realised for a very small contribution and added that this was a very efficient way to support this project.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £500 from the Central Area Committee budget as a contribution towards the Inspire Suffolk Sports and Media Youth Programme.

 

Reason:  To cover the cost of staff and equipment as part of the wider project that will provide a programme of sports and media based learning and mentoring

9.

CAC/17/04 Funding Request: Ipswich & Suffolk West Indian Association pdf icon PDF 58 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

9.1.        Ms Buckley, Secretary for the Ipswich and Suffolk West Indian Association (ISWIA), reported that the lunch club was provided for Caribbean members of the community, many of whom had previously worked at Ipswich Hospital and Cranes, who had become isolated as their families had moved away from the area. Healthy meals were provided by a chef from Suffolk New College and guest speakers attended the lunch club to provide information on health and well-being matters.

9.2.        Councillor Lockington asked how much money was held in reserve and how many people attended the lunch club.  Ms Buckley reported that the number of attendees varied, for example, there were 30 present at the Christmas lunch, and members were contacted to confirm if they would be attending on the day.

9.3.        Councillor Lockington asked how the lunch club was publicised and whether it was open to people other than the ISWIA members. Ms Buckley reported that leaflets would be produced by ISCRE and distributed to local hairdressers and churches, and added anyone could attend the lunch, for example, family and friends of members.

9.4.        Councillor Jones proposed that the amount to be granted be increased to £500, and this was agreed, subject to the recommendation being amended to show the correct Area Committee (Central, not South East).

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £500 from the Central Area Committee budget as a contribution to 12 months running costs of the Ipswich and Suffolk West Indian Association weekly lunch club.

 

Reason: To enable the Ipswich and Suffolk West Indian Association to continue to meet the needs of the older generation of the Caribbean community in Ipswich via the provision of a weekly lunch club and other sociable and informative events

 

Councillor Jones left the meeting.

10.

Project Update: Oasis English Language School

Minutes:

10.1.     Ms Firbank reported that the Oasis English Language School had received funding from the Central and South West Area Committees for fire safety and renovation works to the Burlington Road premises and introduced a video taken during a recent visit to illustrate the completed works.

11.

CAC/17/01 Area Committee Financial Update pdf icon PDF 61 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

11.1.     Mr Fairclough, Head of Culture and Environment, reported that £1,800 of funding would allocated to the Making a Difference (MAD) budget for 2017/18, and added that the Central Area Committee was requested to approve the return of the unspent MAD funding for 2016/17 (£840) to its unallocated budget, which would result in the Central Area Committee having £43,496.80 available to spend on its priorities.

11.2.     Mr Fairclough also reported that the following items had been approved from the MAD funding for this year:

·                Alexandra ward: £460 to Christ Church towards the Holiday at Home activities

·                Westgate ward: £200 to Selig Suffolk towards the Ipswich Hope into Action project for the provision of household items

Resolved:

 

(i)           that the financial statement in Appendix 1 of the report be noted;

(ii)          that the allocation of £1,800 to the Making a Difference (MAD) budget for 2017/18 in accordance with the adopted Making a Difference budget funding protocol be noted;

(iii)         that the return of the unspent MAD funding for 2016/17 (£840) to the main unallocated Central Area Committee budget be approved.

Reasons:

(i)           To provide clear and transparent details of the amount of funds available to the Area Committee to deliver the priorities in its action plan;

(ii)          To allow the Central Area Committee to devolve 10% of its annual budget to support small scale community initiatives;

(iii)         To release any Central Area Committee budget funding where there is no further expenditure anticipated.

12.

CAC/17/02 Funding Request: Summer Holiday Activities Programme pdf icon PDF 57 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

12.1.     Ms Firbank introduced a video report from Mr Wilesmith, Assistant Operations Manager for Sport, who requested that £1,783.05 of funding be provided towards the delivery of the Jumpers for Goalposts summer holiday activities in Central Ipswich.  The level of participation had grown over the last 3 years and it was proposed to deliver the following activities this summer:

·                Park activities (football, street golf, tennis) – Alexandra Park    

·                Basketball – Jubilee Park

·                This Girl Can – Swimming (Fore Street) and Touch Rugby (Christchurch Park)

12.2.     Ipswich Basketball Club and Ipswich Rugby Club, together with the Council’s swimming facilities, would be able to support the transition for young people wishing to continue with these activities once the summer programme had finished. The activities would be promoted through a wide range of methods, including social media, e-flyers and leaflets to schools, and through SCC’s Family Carers outreach teams.

12.3.     Councillor Riley asked whether Catch 22 Positive Futures were a private company.  Mr Fairclough reported that they were one of the organisations that delivered the summer activities programme.

12.4.     Councillor Cook asked whether flyers could be posted on the park gates and issued to schools.  Ms Firbank reported that information would be sent out to schools once all of the funding had been approved by the Area Committees.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £1,783.05 from the Central Area Committee budget to deliver the planned programme of summer holiday activities in Central Ipswich.

 

Reason: The Jumpers for Goalposts programme has increased participation numbers over the last 3 years and this will allow young people across the town to participate in physical activity over the summer.

13.

CAC/17/05 Funding Request: Venue Hire and Publicity Budget pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

13.1.     Ms Firbank reported that £500 was requested to cover costs relating to advertising and venue hire for Central Area Committee meetings in 2017/18.

 

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve the allocation of £500 from the Central Area Committee budget for costs associated with advertising and venue hire for the Central Area Committee for 2017/18, as detailed in Appendix 1 to the report.

 

Reason: To facilitate the good running of the Area Committee, meeting the goal to devolve power closer to the people

14.

CAC/17/06 Area Action Plan Update pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

14.1.     Ms Firbank reported that the Area Action Plan for the Central Area Committee had been reviewed to ensure that its priorities were still relevant and to reflect the changes in the Council’s Corporate Plan. The priorities would continue to focus on alleviating deprivation relating to ‘Living Environment’ and supporting the Corporate Plan priorities of: ‘A sustainable environment’, ‘An enjoyable place to live, work and study’, ‘A healthy community’ and ‘Safe communities’.

14.2.     Councillor Cook requested that the maps in the report be printed in colour when the Area Action Plan was next updated.

 

Resolved:

 

that the revised Central Area Action Plan, attached at Appendix 1 to the report, be adopted.

 

Reason: Priorities provide the basis of an action plan that will enable the Area Committee to clearly communicate its vision and priorities for the area and will help demonstrate how its budget is being allocated to deliver the priorities set for the Area.

15.

Chairman's Update on Actions from Previous Meetings

Minutes:

The Chairman had no updates to report.

16.

Community Intelligence - Verbal Update from Ward Councillors

Minutes:

16.1.     Councillor Kreidewolf congratulated Ms Firbank for helping the Jubilee Friends Group with their successful bid to Comic Relief which resulted in a grant of £950.  The Jubilee Friends Group would be holding a Fun Day on the August bank holiday weekend.

16.2.     Councillor Lockington reported that she had attended a walkabout with the Police in Alexandra and St Margaret’s wards and observed the effect on neighbourhoods of the drug and alcohol related issues.
 

16.3.     Councillor Lockington reported that if anyone would like to volunteer for the Community Speedwatch initiative they should contact either herself, Councillor Jones or Councillor Holmes, all of whom had been trained.  Training would be provided and the evidence gathered would be used to send letters to drivers logged as exceeding the speed limit, or in the case of excessive speed, to prompt a visit by the Police.  Councillor Lockington commented that drivers had not been abusive to those operating the Community Speedwatch equipment.

16.4.     Councillor Cook reported that many free events had been put on over the summer and added that the One Big Multicultural Festival would be taking place in Alexandra Park on Sunday 27 August 2017.

16.5.     County Councillor Gaylard commented that Suffolk County Council would be withdrawing the free town centre shuttle bus from 28 July 2017.  County Councillor Gaylard reported that the Police had recovered a number of stolen bicycles that needed to be returned to their owners; if you have had a bicycle stolen, then contact Acting Inspector Vicky McParland and provide details of the bicycle (photograph, frame number, distinguishing marks).