Agenda and minutes

Central Area Committee - Wednesday 8th March 2017 7.00 pm

Venue: Bramford Road Methodist Church Hall, Bramford Road, IP1 4AY

Contact: Linda Slowgrove  01473 432511

Note: Enter via the back of the church building 

Items
No. Item

66.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Leeder, County Councillor Adams and County Councillor Rudkin.

67.

Unconfirmed Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 120 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 11 January 2017.

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Minutes of the meeting held on 11 January 2017 be signed as a true record.

68.

To Confirm or Vary the Order of Business

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Order of Business be confirmed as printed on the Agenda.

69.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

Councillor Lockington, having allocated SCC Locality funding to the Arts La’Olam project, declared an interest in Agenda Item 8 (report CAC/16/16).

70.

To Confirm the Venues of Future Meetings

·         Wednesday 7 June 2017, 7pm – Reg Driver Visitor Centre, Christchurch Park, IP4 2BX

·         Wednesday 19 July 2017, 7pm – Museum Street Methodist Church, Black Horse Lane, IP1 2EF

·         Wednesday 13 September 2017, 7pm – Westgate ward

·         Wednesday 8 November 2017, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·         Wednesday 17 January 2018, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·         Wednesday 7 March 2018, 7pm – Westgate ward

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the meetings and venues be confirmed as follows:

 

·         Wednesday 7 June 2017, 7pm – Reg Driver Visitor Centre, Christchurch Park, IP4 2BX

·         Wednesday 19 July 2017, 7pm – Museum Street Methodist Church, Black Horse Lane, IP1 2EF

·         Wednesday 13 September 2017, 7pm – Westgate ward

·         Wednesday 8 November 2017, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·         Wednesday 17 January 2018, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·         Wednesday 7 March 2018, 7pm – Westgate ward

71.

Responses to Public Questions Received and Open Discussion on Local Issues

(a)          Police Priorities

Minutes:

71.1.     The Chairman introduced Inspector Sarsfield Donohue of the Ipswich Central Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) who provided the following update on policing priorities:

Drug-related anti-social behaviour in St Margaret’s ward: Patrols were continuing based on location of drug-related litter and community intelligence. The Police were targeting premises/tenancies where drug dealing was taking place and had recently successfully closed down another tenancy.  Community intelligence was vital in this process, so any drug-related activity should be reported either to the SNT (email: ipswichcentral.snt@suffolk.pnn.police.uk) or anonymously to Crime Stoppers (0800 555 111 or www.crimestoppers-uk.org).

Anti-social behaviour in the Town Centre: There has been the usual seasonal reduction in the number of alcohol confiscations and four homeless people had now found accommodation.  Premises selling high-strength lager were being targeted; a Community Protection Notice has been served on one premise and was ignored, so a review of their licence has been requested. 

71.2.     Inspector Donohue reported that Operation Woven was a new priority for the SNT, which would tackle youth related violence following recent incidents.  There had been 38 arrests made in relation to 17 serious incidents; most of these offences were caused by two gangs of youths (14-19 years old) on the periphery of the drugs scene, often armed with knives, and posting abuse to each other on social media. A dedicated response team had been set up, headed up by Inspector Weaver, with 2 PCs from each SNT and 3 PCs from the Response Team, and linked with the Scorpion Team, Drugs Team and specialist support as there were young people involved.  The Operation would entail both enforcement and education in order to reduce the violence between the two groups and prevent others from becoming involved.

71.3.     Councillor Jones: Has there been any review of the PCSOs’ shift patterns?
Inspector Horton (Ipswich West SNT) was actively leading on this review and would be producing a report to request changes to enable PCSOs to work in the evenings.

71.4.     Councillor Jones: There have been youngsters hanging around outside the gaming centre on Princes Street, often playing football in the street – a little intervention by PCSOs would be helpful.

71.5.     Councillor Lockington: Are there older people involved with the two drug gangs?
The gangs were on the periphery of the drug gangs operating out of London. The aim was to get the youngsters (mostly 14-19 year olds) back into mainstream education.

71.6.     Councillor Kreidewolf:  There have been some concerns that girls were returning to the street on Barrack Corner; this issue was previously tackled through a multi-agency approach.
Any intelligence should be sent to the Police through the usual channels.  If this was happening, then it would be dealt with by the Human Trafficking Team. It may be that these girls were looking for drugs rather than being solicited.

71.7.     The Chairman emphasised that any community intelligence was vital to enable the Police to direct their resources where most needed.  The Chairman added that Inspector Donohue would be transferred to Lowestoft as  ...  view the full minutes text for item 71.

72.

Project Update: 26th Ipswich Scouts

Minutes:

72.1.     Mr Black, 26th Ipswich Scouts Leader, introduced a short video that had been put together from clips of scouting activities and brief interviews with the scouts.  Mr Black reported that the equipment that was funded by the Area Committee had also been loaned out to other local Scout groups.

72.2.     Mr Black commented that the Scouts were keen to increase the diversity of its participants and to also increase parent engagement.  There were currently 3 Scout Leaders within St Margaret’s, but one was on long-term leave; new Leaders would be subject to DBS checks.

72.3.     Councillor Jones highlighted that Scout Groups were run by volunteers and was keen to see a group set up in the Jubilee Park area.  Councillor Jones added that Area Committee funding could potentially be used to support Scout Groups.

72.4.     Mr Black reported that there were approximately 3,000 Scouts across Suffolk, but many of the groups were historic and didn’t necessarily reflect where the young communities were now.  The 26th Ipswich Scouts had 20 youngsters involved, but they had been unable to attend this meeting as they were holding a talent show.

73.

CAC/16/16 Funding Request: Arts La'Olam pdf icon PDF 57 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

73.1.     Ms Firbank, Community Engagement Officer, reported that £2,300 of funding was requested as a contribution to support Arts La’Olam in the provision of 6 participatory workshops.

73.2.     Ms Lees, Director of Arts La’Olam, gave a presentation on the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic intercultural arts activities that had been previously delivered by Arts La’Olam, and outlined the 6-week project that would involve traditional African storytelling and drumming workshops.

73.3.     Councillor Jones:  By focusing the project on the theme of ‘migration’, this could restrict the project to a small demographic. Many people have little or no access to art opportunities due to economic or class issues – could the project be expanded to engage with these people?

73.4.     Councillor Riley: How many participants would be involved in this project and how would they be sourced?
There would be 20 participants, and the workshops would be publicised through the networks of project partners.

73.5.     Councillor Jones: Would it be possible to approach Westbourne High School in Westgate ward to engage with those not currently involved with the project partners?

73.6.     Councillor Kreidewolf: This is a welcome project, but it should reach out as widely as possible.

73.7.     The Chairman requested that an update be brought to a future meeting on the outcomes of this project.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £2,300 from the Central Area Committee budget to support Arts La’Olam in facilitating storytelling workshops at a local venue in Ipswich, performance opportunities for artists and participants and training, working in partnership with local organisations and their service users.

 

Reason:  To support a well-established arts organisation to deliver a programme of activities for local residents led by professional artists who have both awareness of world music and their own cultural heritage. The project will increase the provision of and access to intercultural arts in Ipswich – strengthening social integration, cohesion, communication and friendship between community members and partner organisations.

74.

CAC/16/17 Funding Request: Ginnel Foto Fest pdf icon PDF 59 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

74.1.     Ms Firbank reported that £3,150.95 of funding was requested to support the Ginnel Foto Fest 2017, due to take place in Clarkson Street, Ipswich.

74.2.     Mr Mike Chen reported that the Ginnel Foto Fest was in its second year and would deliver a photo exhibition in the heart of Westgate involving the local community.  Activities would include 9 local workshops (£5 entry fee to cover materials), plus 2 ‘free to enter’ photo competitions – the Analogue Open (for cameras that use film) and the Student Awards, with the finalists’ entries being exhibited at the festival.  There would also be a free family event, with a portrait photographer taking family photos to take away, plus a variety of food and drink options on sale. The festival would be promoted via social media and in colleges and schools, and attendance/participation would be monitored.

74.3.     Councillor Jones:  Which schools are involved, would there be any scope for Handford School to be included?
Northgate School contacted us as they were keen for their Sixth Form to get involved with photography as a leisure engagement.

74.4.     Councillor Jones: Do the exhibition prints have to be produced in Glasgow, could this service be provided more locally?
The exhibits need to be presented professionally and the company in Glasgow offered a good deal.

74.5.     Councillor Reynolds: Last year 50-60 people were involved; would there be a greater participation if the event was held in a more public space, such as on the Quay or in the Town Centre, bearing in mind the amount of funding requested?
The aim of this festival was to hold it in a neighbourhood where there this type of event was not expected and so engage with people who didn’t usually get involved.  Last year 52 took part and this year the aim was for over 200 people to participate.

74.6.     Councillor Lockington: If there was a larger exhibition area, it could provide more opportunity for funding for next year.
Prints from the exhibition would be kept and auctioned to provide funds for future activities, e.g. students starting up projects.

74.7.     Councillor Kreidewolf: Whilst more people could be attracted to a different location, it would not meet the objective of serving the local community.

74.8.     The Chairman requested that Mr Chen return to a future meeting to update on the outcomes of the project.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £3,150.95 from the Central Area Committee budget to purchase equipment and promotional materials and to cover event costs for the ‘Ginnel Foto Fest 2017’ set to take place in Clarkson Street, Ipswich.

 

Reason: To support a local organisation deliver a local arts project engaging the whole community in a deprived and diverse area of the town, to educate, entertain and bring people together, in accordance with the priorities outlined in the Central Area Committee Action Plan and the Council’s Corporate Plan.

75.

CAC/16/18 Area Committee Funding Protocols pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

75.1.     Ms Firbank reported that the Area Committee Funding Protocol had been reviewed to clarify how funding could be utilised and to ensure that organisations had the appropriate structure in place.  The Making a Difference (MAD) protocol had also been reviewed to clarify the guidance for accessing this funding.  Ms Firbank highlighted that the Making a Difference budget for 2017/18 would be £600 per ward.

75.2.     Councillor Cook: The protocol requests that appropriate governance is in place.  Would this be flexible enough, e.g. would a group need to be set up to fund a park bench?
The Funding Protocol was sufficiently open-ended to cater for most funding requests whilst providing confidence in those groups that were funded.  The MAD funding provided the facility to support small spends at ward level without the need to bring the funding request to the Area Committee meeting.

Resolved:

 

that the Area Committee Funding Protocol attached at Appendix 1 to the report and the revised Making a Difference Budget Funding Protocol attached at Appendix 2 to the report be adopted.

 

Reason: To clearly set out the approach to providing support via Area Committee funding and to provide guidance for the allocation of funding.

76.

CAC/16/19 Central Area Committee Action Plan Update pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

76.1.     Ms Firbank reported that the Area Action Plan had been updated to include projects that had been funded by the Central Area Committee in 2016/17, and added that the Oasis English Language School works were about to commence. Ms Firbank commented that the priorities of the Area Action Plan would be reviewed for 2017/18.

 

Resolved:

 

that the updated Central Area Action Plan attached at Appendix 1 to the report be noted.

 

Reason: Priorities provide the basis of an action plan that will enable the Area Committee to clearly communicate its vision and priorities for the area and will help demonstrate how its budget is being allocated to deliver the priorities set for the Area.

77.

Chairman's Update on Actions from Previous Meetings

Minutes:

77.1.    ‘No entry’ sign on Little Bramford Lane:
The Chairman reported that the following response from SCC Highways:

The existing restriction prohibits all motor vehicles except cycles from entering Little Bramford Lane from the Chevalier Street end. To replace this with a ‘’No Entry’’ order would completely prohibit all vehicles from entering including cycles. As Little Bramford Lane is a National Cycle Route, this would not be possible.

Unfortunately, there is insufficient carriageway width to allow for a contra-flow cycle lane at its junction with Chevalier Street. To achieve this would require a carriageway width of 5.5 metres (1.5 metres for cycle lane, 3 metres running lane and 1 metre wide island between each lane). Unfortunately, the road width here is approx. 4.5 metres.

 

77.2.    Alternative location for Little Bramford Lane needle bin:
The Chairman reported that the environmental improvements to the Beaufort Street area were completed on 2 February 2017, with the sharps bin being removed from Little Bramford Lane and installed in Beaufort Street, and Turning Point had been made aware of this change.

77.3.    Highways Maintenance Programme for Museum Street:
The Chairman reported that, according to the latest programme of highways maintenance work on the SCC website, there were no repair works currently scheduled for Museum Street between Crown Street and Elm Street.

77.4.    ‘Jingle bells’ for handbags:
The Chairman reported that clip-on bells for handbags, which acted as a theft deterrent, cost 28p each and could be procured from the Police in packs of 100.

77.5.    Overgrowing trees by play area in Alexandra Park:
The Chairman reported the following update from the Operations Manager for Parks and Bereavement:

The trees affecting the play area have been lifted as there were several roosting branches for pigeons that were overhanging the play equipment, resulting in the furniture being covered in droppings.  The play equipment has been pressure washed and the play area and equipment now looked a lot better.

77.6.    Traffic concerns near St Helens School:
The Chairman reported the following response from County Councillor Finch:

The County Council receives many requests for safety improvements on main roads across the county, many of which are used by families walking or cycling to school.  Unfortunately the Council does not have sufficient resources to meet all of the requests made, and so must prioritise the use of funds for safety schemes on the basis of evidence of risk.

 

Officers have analysed accident data at this location over the last five years and reviewed the operation of the crossing, which offers a safe place for children to cross.  

 

Whilst I understand the local concerns, the data does not suggest that this site should be considered to be a high priority that would justify further action at this time.  Officers will continue to monitor the location and future maintenance work may provide an opportunity to improve the road markings.

77.7.    Museum Street litter bins:
The Chairman reported that the two litter bins had now been installed by the bus  ...  view the full minutes text for item 77.

78.

Community Intelligence - Verbal Update from Ward Councillors

Minutes:

78.1.    Councillor Kreidewolf reported that a Twitter feed had been set up in support of the ‘Destination Norwich Road’ initiative.

78.2.    Councillor Lockington reported that over 30 responses had been received from residents in relation to the proposed 20mph limit for Anglesea Road and these responses were being reviewed by SCC Highways.

78.3.    County Councillor Gaylard reported that the request for a 20mph limit on St Helens Street/Woodbridge Road near to the school had previously been turned down as it did not meet the criteria.  This decision was taken to appeal on the grounds of exceptional circumstances, with the letter of support from the Area Committee as part of the evidence, together with the petition from parents of schoolchildren, plus letters of support from Suffolk Police and the Head Teacher of the school. The appeal was successful and consideration would now be given to measures to mitigate the road safety issues in this area.  Additionally, Community Speed Watch had been set up for Woodbridge Road and 7 volunteers had been trained and would provide a presence to deter speeding traffic. On the day of the appeal, there had been another near miss involving a father collecting his twin daughters from nursery when a car jumped a red traffic light.

78.4.    Councillor Cook reported that the issue of a blown down fence on Hillary Close had been resolved following repairs by the landlord.

79.

CAC/16/20 Area Committee Budget Update pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

79.1.    Mr Williams, Chief Executive, reported that at the start of the meeting the Central Area Committee had an unallocated budget of £31,411.28 available to spend on its priorities.

79.2.    Following the financial commitment of £5,450.95 arising from the approved funding request, the Central Area Committee now had a budget of £25,960.33 available.

79.3.    Mr Williams also reported the following items that had been approved from the Making a Difference funding:

·           Alexandra ward: £51 as a contribution towards the International Women’s Day event

·           St Margaret’s ward: £840 towards a purpose built Petanque piste in Christchurch Park

Resolved:

 

that the financial statement of the Central Area Committee in Appendix 1 to the report be noted.

 

Reason: To provide an audit trail of funding that has been spent from the Central Area Committee budget