Agenda and minutes

Central Area Committee - Thursday 24th March 2016 7.00 pm

Venue: Ipswich Community Church, Clarkson Street, IP1 2JP

Contact: Linda Slowgrove  01473 432511

Items
No. Item

64.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Cann, Councillor Leeder and County Councillor Adams.

65.

Unconfirmed Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 135 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 28 January 2016.

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Minutes of the meeting held on 28 January 2016 be signed as a true record.

66.

To Confirm or Vary the Order of Business

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

that the Order of Business be confirmed as printed on the Agenda.

67.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

Councillor Lockington, having provided SCC locality funding to the Oyster Community Press, declared an interest in Agenda Item 9 (report CAC/15/18).

68.

To Confirm the Venues of Future Meetings

·           Thursday 2 June 2016, 7pm – Reg Driver Visitor Centre, Christchurch Park, IP4 2BX

·           Tuesday 26 July 2016, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·           Thursday 15 September 2016, 7pm – Westgate ward

·           Thursday 10 November 2016, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·           Thursday 12 January 2017, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·           Thursday 9 March 2017, 7pm – Westgate ward

Minutes:

Resolved:

that the meetings and venues be confirmed as follows:

 

·           Thursday 2 June 2016, 7pm – Reg Driver Visitor Centre, Christchurch Park, IP4 2BX

·           Tuesday 26 July 2016, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·           Thursday 15 September 2016, 7pm – Westgate ward

·           Thursday 10 November 2016, 7pm – St Margaret’s ward

·           Thursday 12 January 2017, 7pm – Alexandra ward

·           Thursday 9 March 2017, 7pm – Westgate ward

 

[Post meeting update:  These dates have subsequently been amended, with the first meeting now taking place on Wednesday 1 June 2016 at 7pm].

69.

Responses to Public Questions Received and Open Discussion on Local Issues

(a)          Policing Update – Suffolk Local Policing Review presentation

Minutes:

Policing Update – Suffolk Local Policing Review

 

69.1.     The Chairman introduced Inspector Neil McKay of the Central Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) who gave a presentation on the Suffolk Local Policing Review, with the following key points:

·           Suffolk Police restructure to be implemented from 4 April 2016 as a result of changes in demand on services, i.e. decrease in criminality, increase in cybercrime, child sexual exploitation and mental health related issues

·           Improvements in technology will enable more mobile working

·           £20.5million of savings to be made by 2020

·           Boundaries to be realigned based on the demand on services

·           Neighbourhood Response Team to only deal with emergency and priority calls and the role of the Safer Neighbourhood Teams (SNTs) to change

·           Central hub to deal with investigation of volume crime

·           Reduction in Police Station front counters, but the front counter in Museum Street to be retained

·           Greater focus on tackling hidden crime, i.e. domestic abuse, sexual exploitation, cybercrime

·           The new Southern area to include Ipswich, Hadleigh, Felixstowe, Woodbridge and Wickham Market

·           Top level structure for the Southern area: Superintendent Kerry Cutler, Chief Inspector Simon Mills, plus 3 Locality Inspectors – Inspector Sarsfield Donohue (Ipswich Central), Inspector Roger Salmon (Ipswich East) and Inspector Kevin Horton (Ipswich West)

·           Locality Inspectors to be responsible for neighbourhood profiles, how SNTs were deployed, updates to partners

·           SNTs to see a reduction in staff: across Suffolk, PCSOs would reduce from 166 to 107, PCs from 75 to 70, Sergeants from 25 to 20

·           Match funding of PCSOs to continue – there were currently 12 PCSOs being match funded, plus 3 school PCSOs

·           SNTs to be tasked with the following roles: Vulnerability and Safeguarding, Community Engagement, Demand Management and Crime Reduction

·           Parking enforcement to become the responsibility of local authorities across Suffolk – this was already the case in Ipswich

·           There would still be some attendance at community meetings (this would depend on the priorities set by the relevant Locality Inspector), but where this was not possible, technology would be used to provide updates, e.g. via newsletters and online

69.2.     Local resident: There has been no mention of Neighbourhood Watch (NW) schemes, which were instigated by the Police – will the Police still attend the NW quarterly meetings?  We used to receive simple crime statistics giving the number of incidents by category that we used to collate to see trends, but we have stopped receiving this data.  Will there still be a Community Watch Liaison Officer, as this person was our main source of contact?  How will the Police communicate with NW groups going forward?
In light of the financial position and the savings to be found, resources have to be allocated to deliver the Police ‘THRIVE’ model.  Logistically, there would not be enough resource to be able to commit to evening meetings, especially as PCSOs would only be working during the day.  However, the Police acknowledge the importance of the NW groups and need them to continue to be the eyes and ears of the community.  Crime statistics  ...  view the full minutes text for item 69.

70.

Events Presentation

Minutes:

70.1.     The Chairman proposed that this presentation be deferred to the next meeting and this was agreed.

 

Resolved:

 

that the Events presentation be deferred to the next meeting.

71.

CAC/15/17 Funding Request: Surrey Road Alley Gate pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

71.1.     Mr Murton, Community Engagement Officer, reported that £1,260 of funding was requested for the installation of an alley gate on Surrey Road. 

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £1,260 from the Central Area Committee budget for the installation of an alley gate on Surrey Road.

 

Reason: To reduce the impact of anti-social behaviour that is currently being experienced by local residents

72.

CAC/15/18 Funding Request: Oyster Community Press - Community Cohesion Through Art pdf icon PDF 108 KB

Minutes:

72.1.     Mr Murton reported that £5,742 of funding was requested from the Oyster Community Press to part-fund a community cohesion project in the Westgate ward.

72.2.     Alison Smyth, Director of the Oyster Community Press, reported that the ‘Eye for Ipswich’ printmaking project would be open to people of different nationalities and cultures in the Westgate area to learn the art of printmaking, with the resulting artwork being exhibited in the County Library as part of National Refugee Week.  This project would encourage people to express what the Norwich Road area meant to them and so help to generate pride in their local community.

72.3.     The project would be run out of the Ipswich Furniture Project shop and the public would be able to view it through the shop window, and would also be encouraged to provide feedback via Twitter. The project would additionally involve students from Handford Hall Primary School, Westbourne Academy and Suffolk One.

72.4.     Councillor Jones asked how people would be invited to take part, as there were older people who had lived in the area a long time.  Ms Smyth reported that people would be contacted through the library, where people go to learn English in an informal setting, and from people who volunteer for ISCRE and the library; the project would be open to all ages and genders.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £5,742 from the Central Area Committee budget to part-fund Oyster Community Press in delivering a community cohesion project via an art project that would be titled “Eye for Ipswich”, subject to the project not being launched until after the local elections in May.


Reason: To support the priorities of the Central Area Committee Action Plan in tackling anti-social behaviour and promoting community cohesion

73.

CAC/15/19 Funding Request: Spring Road Allotments Composting Toilet pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

73.1.     Mr Murton reported that £4,370 of funding was requested towards the installation of a composting toilet with disabled access on Field 17 of the Spring Road allotments.

73.2.     Ms Cullen, Spring Road Allotment Holder, reported that a ‘community’ of plot holders had been created, including many Alexandra ward residents, and had started to hold its own community activities on site.  However, the absence of toilet facilities often meant that some people, e.g. with young families, could not remain on site for as long as they would like.  Providing a toilet would enable people to stay and work on their plots for longer and get to know fellow plot ‘tenants’ better.

Resolved:

 

that the Central Area Committee approve funding of £4,370 from the Central Area Committee budget for the installation of a composting toilet with disabled access on Field 17 of the Spring Road allotments.

 

Reason: To provide facilities that would enable a wider range of the community to benefit from greater use of the allotments and its community

74.

CAC/15/20 Process for Purchasing and Maintaining Vehicle Activated Signs pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

74.1.     Mr Murton reported that the report set out the process to be undertaken with Suffolk County Council for the purchase and management of vehicles activated signs.

74.2.     Councillor Lockington reported that residents in parts of St Margaret’s ward were keen to pursue the option of acquiring vehicle activated signs.  Councillor Lockington added the Suffolk Road Safety Board had provided funding for some signs in rural areas from the income raised by Driver Diversionary Courses. Usually signs were only put up for a limited amount of time, e.g. 4 weeks, and then moved elsewhere.

74.3.     Local resident: What type of sign would be provided?
Councillor Lockington reported that there was a variety of signs, but they would primarily give a display when vehicles were going too fast, and would not keep a record of the speed of vehicles.

74.4.     Councillor Kreidewolf reported that this would be part of the approach to tackle road safety issues by making people more aware of their speed.  Councillor Cook added that this would be worth pursuing as these signs do help to slow vehicles down.

Resolved:

 

that a request be submitted to Suffolk County Highways to assess roads highlighted by both residents and Ward Councillors as being in need of a vehicle activated sign.

 

Reason: To ascertain the need and appropriate support for the purchasing of a vehicle activated sign

75.

Chairman's Update on Actions from Previous Meetings

Minutes:

75.1.     Re: Minute 53.4 - Traffic Assessment for the Ipswich Garden Suburb:  
The Chairman reported that the following response had been provided in relation to responsibility for traffic assessment:

“The comment raised by the resident is an extract from the Suffolk County Council ‘s Response to the pre-submission consultation on the review of the Ipswich Core Strategy and Policies Document.  This document was provided to the Planning Inspectorate as part of the Local Plan Examination in Public.

 

In terms of responsibility for traffic assessment of the Ipswich Garden Suburb proposals, this is ultimately a matter for Ipswich Borough Council, having had regard to statutory consultee advice, including Suffolk County Council, as the Highway Authority.  In this instance, this is being achieved through the use of specialist consultants, WSP (commissioned through Suffolk County Council).  

 

In terms of planning policy, paragraph 32 of the National Planning Policy Framework states that:

 

“All developments that generate significant amounts of movement should be supported by a Transport Statement or Transport Assessment. Plans and decisions should take account of whether:

 

·           the opportunities for sustainable transport modes have been taken up depending on the nature and location of the site, to reduce the need for major transport infrastructure;

·           safe and suitable access to the site can be achieved for all people; and

·           improvements can be undertaken within the transport network that cost effectively limit the significant impacts of the development. Development should only be prevented or refused on transport grounds where the residual cumulative impacts of development are severe.”

76.

Community Intelligence - Verbal Update from Ward Councillors

Minutes:

76.1.     County Councillor Rudkin reported that roadworks were due to take place near the Mulberry Tree public house near Majors Corner that could block the entrance to the car park on Cobden Place.

76.2.     Councillor Cook reported that he had assisted residents in obtaining a grit bin for Jefferies Road.  Councillor Cook added that he and County Councillor Rudkin had referred the issue of the real time passenger information not working for 47 days to SCC and this had now been resolved.

76.3.     Councillor Kreidewolf reported that he and Councillor Gibbs had met with the Council’s Parking Services to address the ongoing issues with inconsiderate parking on Norwich Road.  There would be an increase in parking enforcement presence on Norwich Road to try to influence better parking behaviour by local businesses and their customers.

76.4.     Local resident: Clarkson Street is also affected by the business parking on Norwich Road.  There are very few bays available for residents on Clarkson Street and most are subject to a 1 hour limit.  Parking Enforcement Officers need to focus on people that park illegally in the Z4 Resident Parking Zones, not just the 1 hour parking bays.

76.5.     Councillor Gibbs added that increased parking restrictions were being considered in relation to Tesco Express; one issue had been large vehicles parking on St Matthews Street as they cannot access the area reserved for larger vehicles due to other vehicles parking there.

76.6.     Local resident:  Vehicles are often inconsiderately parked on the pavement in Granville Street, resulting in people in mobility scooters having to drive in the road to get past.

If a vehicle is illegally parked on yellow lines or parking bays, then contact the Council’s Parking Enforcement Team on Ipswich 432840.

76.7.     Local resident:  We are setting up a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme for Clarkson Street, Wilberforce Street, Benezet Street and Granville Street, but need to raise funding for signs.  Councillor Lockington commented that she could provide SCC locality funding for this purpose.

76.8.     Councillor Lockington commented that only the Police had the authority to request to SCC that street lights be left on in a particular location. Councillor Lockington reported that she had requested more seating at the Tower Ramparts Bus Station under the Sail Makers sign, but only 9 seats could be provided, but these seats would have arms to assist elderly people.

76.9.     Councillor Jones reported that a mobile CCTV camera was being installed in the Westgate area to help tackle fly-tipping; this issue didn’t appear to be related to businesses or the communal flats.

76.10.  County Councillor Gaylard confirmed that the roadworks by the Mulberry Tree public house were due to commence on 14 April 2016 for 14 weeks and that these works were intended to improve the flow of traffic down St Helens Street.  County Councillor Gaylard added that she had again reported the poor road surface on the junction of Woodbridge Road with Argyle Street, and reported that the old street light poles were still on St Helens Street  ...  view the full minutes text for item 76.

77.

CAC/15/21 Area Committee Budget Update pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

77.1.     Mrs Robinson, Operations Manager for Community Engagement and Democratic Services, reported that at the start of the meeting, the Central Area Committee had an unallocated budget of £43,682 available to support its priorities.

77.2.     Following the financial commitment of £11,372 arising from the approved funding requests, the Central Area Committee now had a budget of £32,310 available.

 

Resolved:

 

that the financial statement of the Central Area Committee in Appendix 1 of the report be noted.

 

Reason: To provide an audit trail of funding that has been spent from the Central Area Committee budget