Decision Maker: Officer Decision
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Ipswich Borough Council has planned to temporarily remove stored art works on paper from the Christchurch Mansion attic store to enable capital work to proceed. The items will be removed for a maximum period of May 2016 – Jan 2017.
The art works on paper will be temporarily stored in Norfolk Record Office (NRO) at a cost of £9,828. The reasons for this decision are as follows:
· NRO store meets the BS5454 standard for archival material
· It has the required capacity
· It is accessible, by appointment
· Equivalent local storage is not available. Suffolk Record Office does not have the required capacity.
· There is precedent for this - the art works on paper were stored at NRO when the previous roof works were carried out in 2008. This proved to be a successful solution at that time.
· Other options were discounted due to the impact to service delivery those locations.
Handling and transportation of the works on paper will be the responsibility of Colchester and Ipswich Museums Service (CIMS), under existing IBC insurance cover.
CIMS will be responsible for documenting all collections and recording their movement. It will also oversee all handling and transportation to ensure that it is carried out with minimal risk to the collections and maximum security.
Decision: To approve the temporary removal and storage of the art works on paper to NRO.
Reason: To facilitate the progression of the Main Contract that is already appointed to repair and upgrade the Christchurch Mansion.
Publication date: 31/05/2016
Date of decision: 17/05/2016