Decision Maker: Strategic Overview & Scrutiny Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Committee discussed the future work programme and agreed the following:
Review of Area Committees
· Review the main differences between Area Forums and Area Committees.
· Use of the budgets
· Impact on the area
· What difference has it made to the community
· Attendance at meetings
· Relationship with outside bodies e.g. Police, County Council, schools etc.
· Grant application process
· How has the money been spent and has it been done strategically
· How closely has it been spent in relation to the Area Action Plan
· Role of the Committee Chairman
· Meetings /Format of meetings
· Scope of Committees including its functions e.g. Traffic Regulation Orders
· Best practice.
· Performance of Committee functions
Review to be carried out on March 14th 2013
Review of Procurement Process
· Task & Finish Group to be set up under the Chairmanship of Councillor Leeder, with membership as follows:- Councillors Cann, Stimson and Debman.
· To what extent is Ipswich Borough Council weighting ‘other
economic considerations’ over ‘price’ when procuring goods and
· How could Ipswich Borough Council use the procurement process
to encourage more bidding organisations to commit to hiring
· How could Ipswich Borough Council break down tendered contracts
into smaller ‘lots’, to what extent would this increase opportunities
for local SMEs to win contracts, compared to larger suppliers,
which may not have a local connection and what additional costs or
savings (both in cash and resource terms) would be expected from
taking such a route?
· How could Ipswich Borough Council change its procurement
processes, within existing legislation, to better engage with and
promote the use of local suppliers?
Potential Witnesses for the Task and Finish Group to Meet
· The Ipswich Borough Council Procurement and Legal teams.
· Local (and non-local) businesses, which have been successful in
winning contracts to deliver goods or services for Ipswich Borough
· Local businesses, which have been unsuccessful in winning
contracts todeliver goods or services for Ipswich Borough Council.
· Wider research on best practice within other local authorities.
· European Commission (2010), Buying Social: A Guide to Taking
Account of Social Considerations in Public Procurement (European
· Ipswich Borough Council (2011), Corporate Plan (Ipswich Borough
· Local Government Information Unit (2012), Public Services (Social
Value) Act 2012, (LGiU: London)
Review of Planning Process
The Committee discussed the proposals for the remit of the Planning
Concerns were raised regarding resource levels and whether this was the
right time to undertake a review and whether the review was precisely
After further discussion the Committee agreed that a one side note
illustrating over time the work load, performance and resources of the
Council’s Development Management Service should be produced for
committee to give a snapshot of the section and enable the Committee to
determine what, if any, further work was appropriate. Information to be
brought to Committee in February 2013.
The Chairman informed the Committee that he had agreed that the State of
Ipswich information report be deferred until March due to the Officer being
on annual leave.
It was RESOLVED:
(i) that the remits for reviews of Planning, Area Committees and
Procurement as detailed above be agreed.
(ii) that the Work Programme be noted and updated as agreed.
Publication date: 08/01/2013
Date of decision: 13/12/2012
Decided at meeting: 13/12/2012 - Strategic Overview & Scrutiny Committee