Decision Maker: Officer Decision
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Lift at William House is over 30 years old and has worked in an efficient manner during this time. It is has been serviced every six months by Stannah Ltd, and also checked by Zurich six monthly.
Unfortunately the lift went out of service last week and we have been informed by Stannah that the main controller is beyond repair and that parts are not available for a lift of this age. The lift is out of order and there are some tenants who are struggling to use the stairs. A stair lift is available but this is slow and only a stop gap until the lift is bought back into service.
There are three options:
· The controller and other small items could be replaced at a cost of £20.9K to get the lift working again but this would not be compatible with any other lift components in the future when the lift is refurbished.
· Another option is to fit a new Hydroelite System as a partial refurbishment. That would be compatible with any refurbishment in the future. This option would cost £23.7K.
· The preferred option that is to completely refurbish the lift at this point which would give guaranteed performance and prevent having to take the lift out of service in the future. This option would cost £49.6K.
Two decisions have been made:
1. Given that the lift is out of order and we have tenants struggling to get up and down the stairs it is considered appropriate to waive contract standing orders on grounds of urgency.
2. To appoint Stannah Ltd to totally refurbish the lift at William House. Stannah Ltd is a contractor that has an excellent knowledge of the lift at William House. They have refurbished four lifts at sheltered schemes in the last ten years. All of these refurbishments were won on competitive tendering. This would ensure that the work is completed in the quickest possible time.
Publication date: 11/09/2017
Date of decision: 30/08/2017