Decision Maker: Officer Decision
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Council is currently in the process of considering two outline planning applications which form part of the Ipswich Garden Suburb (IGS).
1. Ref 16/00608/OUT (1,100 homes) – Crest Site
2. Ref 14/00638/OUTFL (815 homes) – CBRE Site
The first detailed proposals are due to be submitted pursuant to the outline permission for 1,100 homes on the Crest site. Development is programmed to start by the end of 2017 and therefore there is already a pressure on the Council to keep pace with pre-application advice needed to inform the first wave of detailed applications which are due to be submitted by the end of Summer 2017. It is evident that the Council’s internal capacity is insufficient to deal with the pace of demand for advice which is being placed on Council resourcing.
It is therefore concluded that the work needs to be outsourced to a multidisciplinary team who have the capacity to respond to work as it comes in and could be appointed using the capacity funding granted to IBC.
Essex CC have quoted £14,704.00 for the first phase of work but further assistance on future work may also be required and would result in an increased cost. The capacity funding awarded to IBC to cover this matter totals up to £50,000.
It has been concluded that to go out to competitive tender would not result in any better outcomes or level of service than that offered by Essex CC. It is considered therefore that it is economically in the best interests of the Council, to appoint Essex CC in this instance
· Waive standing orders in this instance
· Appoint Essex County Council to advise Ipswich Borough Council on detailed matters pursuant to planning applications 16/00608/OUT and – if required - 14/00638/OUTFL
· To authorise the Planning and Development Operations Manager, in consultation with the Legal department, to agree the Service Level Agreement for this work.
Publication date: 04/08/2017
Date of decision: 04/08/2017